Bryce Miller's Mistake

Morgana and Teddy walked through the gardens for a few minutes, away from the noise and heat of the castle, towards the Black Lake, through the trees. Teddy's hand was wrapped around Morgana's as they strolled between the trees, silent and deep in thought. Teddy was the first to break the silence.

"So...we kissed-" he began. Morgana rolled her eyes. "What a Teddy Lupin thing to say right now. Yeah, we kissed. Well noticed." Teddy sighed, looking a little uncomfortable. "I just - I don't even know. What does this mean?" Morgana shrugged. "It means whatever we want it to. What do you want?"

Teddy blushed, his hair going purple again. "I want - this," he sighed. "I want every day to be like tonight." Morgana looked up at him. Teddy took a deep breath. "I know this will sound silly, and you're probably not interested at all and - will you be my girlfriend, Morgana?" He asked her, suddenly very serious. His eyes were glowing warmly, his smile was real, but he seemed nervous, too.

Morgana's head skimmed through millions of thoughts, each as crazy as the one before. She looked at Teddy. "Yes," she breathed.

Teddy's face was filled with shock and elation. "Are you serious?" He cried. Morgana laughed. "Yes!" Teddy's hair flicked through every colour of the rainbow before settling for a gorgeous turquoise-blue colour. His eyes flickered green, and blue, and then back to chocolate brown. He leapt up and punched the air in triumph. "Yes!" He cried. He blushed a little. "Morgana, you have no idea how long I've been waiting for this moment." Morgana smiled at him. "Believe me, I think I do."

            They walked around the gardens for a while, just talking. Teddy stopped walking a little distance from the edge of the Black Lake, and Morgana stopped too. They both sat down by the water's edge. Teddy stared up at the moon, almost full, sending off a silvery glow in the night. Meanwhile, Morgana leaned her head on his shoulder, focusing her gaze on the brightest star in the night sky.

            Teddy looked down at her, and she raised her head to look up at him. Slowly, he leaned towards her and Morgana pressed her lips to his, wrapping her arms slowly around his neck, while Teddy ran his fingers through her hair.

            Their moment was interrupted. "NO!" Morgana heard a scream that sounded too familiar, and then a loud crack. She leapt to her feet, and Teddy sat up and looked at her. "Morgana, what's wrong?" He asked in a caring voice. Morgana shook her head, listening, her hound-like senses scanning the night. "It's Em," she breathed. "There's something wrong. She's in trouble."

___________________________

           Morgana and Teddy began running towards the courtyard, calling Emma's name. Morgana looked at Teddy. "Is it worth the risk of changing? I can run faster as a dog." Teddy thought for a moment, looking agitated. "You'll get caught." He suddenly looked over Morgana's shoulder.  "There's no need, anyway." Morgana followed Teddy's gaze and looked up to see Emma, sitting against a stone wall of the courtyard with her knees drawn up to her chest.

         "Em!" Morgana ran closer, and saw details she hadn't seen from a distance. Emma's light brown hair was tumbling down her back from her messy updo, her breathing was heavy and laboured, her cheeks were tear-stained. Morgana gathered up the skirts of her beautiful blue dress and sat down beside her as Teddy stood there awkwardly.

         "Em, what's wrong? Tell me everything, what happened to you?" Emma sighed and wiped a tear away from her cheek. "Not much to tell really," she croaked. "Underneath the good looks, Bryce Miller is an unimaginable prat." She looked up, her makeup running down her cheeks. "I tried to bring across all night that I wasn't interested. Honestly, Morgana, I've seen more personality in a dead flobberworm. But..." her voice tailed off.

          "Just a few minutes ago, we were out in the grounds, and he - well, he tried to kiss me." Emma looked up at her friend. "What did you do?" Morgana asked her. Em shrugged. "I yelled at him and slapped him in the face." Morgana high-fived her. "Legend. Don't worry, we'll get you inside, get our PJs on and have some hot chocolate in the common room. The party's pretty much finished up."

             Morgana, Emma and Teddy walked back through the school as discretely as possible, and Teddy walked the girls up the many flights of stairs to the portrait hole. "See you tomorrow," he whispered to Morgana as she kissed him gently on the cheek. Emma looked on, stunned. "Hello?" She cried. Morgana shuffled her feet awkwardly. "Yeah - Em, Teddy asked me to be his girlfriend. And I - um - I said I would." Emma kind of looked at them both for a minute, sizing them up, reading their minds like a book. "Finally," she said, sounding calm and a little distant.

            Teddy left them at the portrait hole and walked down to the Hufflepuff common room by the kitchens on the bottom floor. The girls went up to their dorm room, where Michelle and Grace were fast asleep. Scarlett was still no where to be seen. They changed into their pyjamas, cleaned off their makeup, and Morgana twisted her hair up into a very messy bun.

           The two girls curled up on the sofa with a mug of tea and a packet of biscuits. Morgana told Em about everything that had happened between her and Teddy. She felt a little bad after everything that had happened to Emma that night, but her best friend insisted that she tell her everything.

           Suddenly the portrait hole swung open. Morgana looked up, but it wasn't a Gryffindor swinging themselves over into the common room. It was a Hufflepuff in their year who Morgana hadn't spoken to very much, called Alice Elphick. She knocked tentatively on the back of the portrait and Morgana stood up to greet her.

           "Hi, can I help you?" She asked, feeling confused. The girl looked at them both. "Is one of you Emma Fortis?"