ValHaven

The next morning I woke up to a sharp pain in my left shoulder. I probably slept on it wrong. I scowled at turned over. Gerard wasn't there. I stood up and stretched my cramped back. I heard a sharp painful crack. Well, that's what you get when you sleep on the floor of a cave.

"GERARD!?!" I called.

Suddenly I heard a call from the next room.

"I'M COMING I'M COMING CALM DOWN!"

I saw someone rush in from a small cave tunnel. It was Gerard, he wore a dirty blood red shirt with a worn dark black leather jacket, black jeans and thick laced boots that reminded me of mine, but more dirty. He flipped his black hair over his hazel eye and smiled. I smiled back. Then I realized something, how did he have a change of clothes?

"How do you have a change of clothes here?" I asked, mimicking my thoughts.

"I come here often, wait...you probably need a pair of shoes."

He spun around and ran back into the tunnel, disappearing from view. I sunk to the ground and held my cold bare feet. They stung from touching the icy ground. I sighed happily. I like Gerard, he's nice. Granted, he did kidnap me...but for a good reason...I think. You couldn't blame him though, stealing was all he knew how to do. I saw him run back into the cave with a comfortable looking pair of black converse. They looked like my pair back home. 

"They might be a bit big, they're my old ones." He said.

I slipped them on. They had a lot of room for me to move my feet. That was okay though, I could handle big shoes. Plus they kind of looked cool with my plaid pajama pants. I smiled at him.

"They're perfect, thank you."

He beamed.

"Let's go then?" He said.

We made our way to the entrance of the cave somehow. The bright sunlight stung my eyes. I put up a hand to see what was out here. It was some sort of forest. It was huge and everywhere I looked were trees much taller than myself. There were a ton of green and sunlight yellow leaves littered all over the ground. When I looked up all I saw was a blanket of thick greens, yellows, and all colors of summer. I followed Gerard through the earthy forest onto a small winding path.

"So where is this place anyway?" I asked.

"We are literally two steps away from ValHaven." Gerard explained.

He was right. The clearing was just up ahead. I saw a small dark village. Tons of tiny dirty looking shack-houses piled here and there. Smoke poured from the tiny bakery, making the air smell like sweet freshly baked bread.  The sky was white, but the town was covered in the shadows of trees above. The city was small, but wide. Many young kids ran here and there, playing tag and hide and seek while their parents smiled in the background, chatting and smiling warmly. Gerard walked ahead and motioned me to follow, he was proud of his city. I realize now. The royals only saw what was on the outside. They only saw a bunch of thieves. They didn't realize that these people had families to feed and taxes to pay. Finally Gerard stopped abruptly in front of a small dark brown dusty shack at the end of the town. The roof was barely hanging on.

"Well...it's not much...but it's home." He explained, pushing open the door.

I followed him inside to a tiny house. It had two rooms. A dining room, with a tiny stove that was shoved to the side but still working, and a beat up coffee table. Gerard stepped proudly into the second room.

"ASH! I'M HOME!" He shouted.

I was about to sit down on the chair with the missing leg when a small creature dived in through the window. It stood on the table. It was a fine specimen, about a foot tall with many multicolored feathers, from a dark brown to a light grey. It had sharp golden eyes, they reminded me of Piper.