Shut your eyes, kiss me goodnight

That night, after my daily dinner scolding by my mother, I was wandering the halls for something to do. Suddenly I heard voices. I turned my head into the meeting room to see two people. One was sitting regally at the end of the long mahogany table and one was kneeling in front of her. The person kneeling looked awfully familiar...then I realized, it's the old man who had the dogs in ValHaven! What was he doing here? I craned my neck to see more without being noticed. He was speaking in a soft, cautious and delicate tone to my mother, who looked down at him in disgust.

"My lady queen, I humbly ask on behalf of ValHaven that you lower the taxes in the village? My people are very poor and some are very sick." He quivered.

My mom flashed a mock look of sorrow for the poor old man.

"Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that! No." She snapped at him.

His face turned worried.

"Your majesty please, perhaps you could reconsider..." He began.

"I said no." She sassed.

"I beg your graciousness, our people are very poor..."

"GUARDS!" She called.

Two healthy bodied soldiers marched through the open doors. I crumpled myself into a tiny ball behind the door and then peeked in to see what they were doing to the poor old man. I was horrified at what I saw. The guards had the man pinned down to the ground and they were whipping him harshly. With every strike to his ill body I heard a weak groan utter from the man's mouth. They whipped him until there were deep red gashes in his back, and he lay lifeless on the floor. They were hurting this innocent old man, the same old man who had played the guitar merrily at the bonfire. I couldn't bear it as I heard every deafening crack to this man's fragile skin. I couldn't bear think of this anymore and I ran away, tears running from my eyes as I ran. I ran and ran until I found the safety of the spiral staircase, the railing was cold and smooth as snakeskin as I ran my hand along it, running into my room. I slammed the door. I collapsed at my desk, my head in my hands and tears spilling out onto the red surface. I never knew my mother could be so evil. That poor man...I feel so bad, there is something I could have done, I'm sure of it. I sniffed. Why didn't I do anything? Because I'm a coward. I probably am afraid I would get whipped too if I interfered. I sat up a bit and struggled to turn on the radio. I put in a Coldplay CD that I've heard a million times. Clocks began to play. I tried to listen. Coldplay was my vent music, if I needed to get something off my mind and just relax a little, I listen to Coldplay. I knew every word. I was sad that I didn't get to hear any new CDs from my favorite artists. I sighed and leaned back in my seat, closing my eyes. I felt a sudden tap on my shoulder. My eyes snapped open and I spun around, scowling at the person who tapped me. It was Gee. I exhaled deeply and bent down a bit, sitting on the chair, my head in my hands.

"How do you DO that!?" I growled at him lightly.

He laughed, sitting cross-legged on my carpet. He wore his ninja suit again, with a red mask, much to my dismay. All I wanted right now was his soft, sympathetic hazel eyes.

"Can you take off the mask please? Who's going to find you in my room?" I sighed.

He smiled warmly and slipped the mask over his messy black hair. His hazel eyes shocked me as they always do. It felt like warm light was filling my insides. I smiled in relief and sighed dreamily.

"Thank you..." I breathed.

He laughed loudly. Suddenly I heard a knock on my door. My heart stopped and I frantically glanced at Gee. He frantically glanced back. We both had the same thought. Hide. I puttered around the room quickly for a bit, searching for a place for him to hide, he followed me. Finally after the third loud, thunderous knock Gee panicked and dashed under my red blanket on the windowsill. He tried to flatten himself out as best he could, tucking in every scrap of clothing. I sat at my desk quickly and panicked a bit myself, pretending to be intently working on a drawing that I hadn't even started. The person outside didn't even wait for my approval that they could come in. My mother barged through the door, knocking over a few things and pushing away the dirty clothes on the floor angrily. I kept my head down. Then she noticed me. She grabbed the back of my blond hair and pulled. Hard. Tugging me by the hair across the room. I winced but refused to cry out in sheer pain. She stuck my head up against a pile of my clothes.