So long, not goodnight

I scowled and he began to walk away from the village. I followed him into the deep dark abyss of the night. There wasn't a star in the sky. I tripped up on my feet and tried to catch up to him, my feet were gripping on loose rocks and tree roots that stuck out of the ground. Meanwhile, Gerard walked a far ways ahead of me, walking without a care in the world.

"Gerard! Slow down!" I called to him.

"Ivy! Keep up!" He called back.

I rolled my eyes. Finally I caught up to him, and I saw where he called home. My jaw dropped open as I stared at the huge wooden treehouse. It was giant, but it was kind of broken in, like the rest of the houses in ValHaven. It clung closely to the large birch trees that surrounded it. A long rope ladder hung from the rectangular doorway. I was eager to climb up in. I watched as Gerard ran swiftly to the bottom of the ladder. I ran over to where he was standing and he climbed up first, his feet elevated quickly and practically as if he had practiced. Once he was seated on the plank-wood platform I began to climb. I had to make sure I was being steady with myself, the ladder was swaying violently this way and that. It was often hard to grip onto the rope around the ladder steps and I missed a few, almost slipping. Luckily Gerard was right there and he grabbed my hand swiftly for support. I clung onto it as I climbed the last few steps.

Then I sat next to him and looked out over the tall woods branches into the rich twilight. The colors went everywhere, sent in many watercolor directions, from the bright lemon lime of the leaves to the deep sea blue of the starless sky. It was beautiful.

"It's so beautiful!" I exclaimed.

Gerard looked out into the view over the branches.

"Yah, it's where I sometimes get inspiration for my drawings." He explained.

I beamed at him and he looked back at me, laughing.

"Do you want to see them?" He asked.

"Oh yes please!" I said excitedly.

He laughed and ushered me into the small treehouse. It was small and cramped, just enough room for two people. It smelled of fresh firewood and roses, like Gerard. It was plenty warm and very comfortable. There was one window on the right that looked out into the forest. The dark brown walls were covered in drawings. They looked like they were done by a professional. Most of them were of people, most were ghosts or pale creatures. Some drawings were more cartoon-like, they reminded me of the drawings in comic books. Then I saw some of the view outside, the colors matched perfectly. My eyes caught on a drawing right above the window. It was of two people, a man and a woman, it was only their faces, next to each other, like they were going to kiss. They both had pale skin and black hair, but these people looked very somber, like someone just died. The woman had an unevenly stitched neck and there was black thread sliding out. The man was neat looking, with a suit and neat hair. They both were splattered with watercolor red blood. I looked over at Gerard in awe. This piece was good enough to be in a museum!

"Gerard, this is amazing! Their all amazing! Where did you learn to draw this well!?" I asked.

He smiled at the floor.

"Well, I just practiced a lot and it helps to have inspiration."

"What's the inspiration for this?" I asked, pointing to the painting of the man and woman.

"Their my parents." He answered simply.

I felt a pain in my heart.

"Oh Gerard, I'm so sorry! I had no idea...I'm so sorry." I sympathized.

He sat down on the floor next to a long blue sleeping bag, putting his head in his hands. I sat next to him and laid my hand over his shoulder. He looked up at me and I could see some red under his eyes that I didn't notice before. It made him look even more like a skeleton.