Apologize

The day we left was a crisp summer morning. The fallen leaves squished against my black steel-toe boots. I looked up at Gee, who was walking along like there was not a care in the world. I hated his emotional mask. I just wanted to rip it right off of him. There was no need to hide his emotions. I lugged my black bag higher onto my shoulder.

"Tell me the emotion your feeling right now, don't hide it." I told him.

He thought a bit.

"Rage." He admitted.

This struck me. Why was he angry?

"Tell me your emotion."

I thought about this for a moment and decided on something that basically summed up my entire existence.

"Regret."

He nodded.

"I think everyone feels something around those borderlines at some point in their existence."

I nodded. We kept walking.

"Do you think this a good place to set up camp?" I asked, when we were far enough into the woods.

Gee rolled his eyes and grinned a half-smile.

"You're too eager sometimes, don't you want to keep walking? I'm sure we'll find a spot by the end of January!"

I laughed at his sarcasm. He looked around the dry spot of leafy ground, kicking up leaves with his boots that looked almost exactly like mine.

"Actually Ivy, this spot is pretty awesome."

I beamed at him.

"See? I told you I was useful."

He laughed, setting down the small, blue foldable tent. It looked like something you would see at an army training camp.

"Where did you get that?" I asked, inspecting the small tent.

"Stole it."

I puzzled.

"You do know that stealing is what got your village into this war don't you?"

He looked up at me from over the tent with a slight scowl.

"You do know that overreacting is what got your kingdom into the war don't you?"

I scoffed.

"They don't overreact that much." I shot back.

He walked towards me.

"I thought you didn't like the royals."

I looked down.

"I love my family if that's what you were asking."

"That's not what I was asking. Who's side are you on is what I'm asking."

I squinted at him.

"I'm on nobodies side Gerard, why do you care anyways!?" I spat his name like it was poison.

Why was he acting so cruel?

"Are you on my side or not!?" He shouted.

"I don't know! I don't want to hurt anyone! Why are you pushing this on me!? Why do you even care!?" I shouted back.

"Maybe I care because you can never make up your mind about things, your always scatterbrained that's what you are."

I glared at him.

"Maybe I wouldn't be so scatterbrained if my life wasn't so messed up!" I nearly shouted.

He glared right back.