I would sing you to sleep

Later that night when we got back from the pond we laid outside in our sleeping bags, staring up at the vague outline of the starlight through the tall trees. The summer breeze blew in from the sky, cooling my face and still drying hair. Gee laid next to me, his head was resting on his hands. His hazel eyes stared up, as if he was searching for something to hold onto. I put my hand out on his sleeping bag for him to hold but he didn't notice. I sighed. He snapped his head over to me.

"You okay?" He asked.

I gave him a look of worry.

"I'm scared Gee. I'm scared about what would happen if we stayed here forever."

He sighed, petting the side of my face gently. My heart thudded repeatedly in my chest and I looked into his eyes.

"We can't to back." He said simply.

I frowned.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because if we went back, the guilt would measure up on us for not being there to help. We would have to witness our loved ones dying before our very eyes. I can't do that again. I assure you it's not a thing you want to go through." He explained.

I exhaled and faced the sky again. He did the same.

"I understand." Was all I said.

He laughed shortly. Then all of a sudden I heard him do something I had never heard him do before. He started singing. It sounded like the most amazing punk rock singer you could ever think of, it was rough, and light, but also really gentle and sweet. I melted into it.

"So long, to all my friends, all of them met deep and tragic ends, I'd be lying if, I didn't say that I missed them all tonight."

I laid there, closing my eyes, I was feeling a little drowsy and his voice and the sad song lyrics were an extra touch.

"And if they only knew, what I would say, If I, could be with you tonight, I would sing you to sleep, never let them take the light behind your eyes."

He kept singing, I kept getting sleepier and sleepier until finally I felt my mind shutting out, I fell into a deep sleep.

I was awaken to the sound of shuffling in the dark, ominous forest. My eyes snapped open suddenly and I alarmingly didn't hear a sound, not even the birds chirping. Utter silence. A cold shiver crawled up my spine. Something wasn't right. I sat up in my sleeping bag, staring out into the dark, fearsome, trees. All of a sudden I heard a soft, haunting voice escaping the trees from all directions.

The woodsman, the woodsman

Coming for your life...

I grabbed my shoulders and shut my eyes tightly, hoping it was a dream. The voices continued, invading my thoughts.

The woodsman, the woodsman

He bears a bloody knife

I felt goosebumps rising up my shoulders as I saw a blurry outline of something coming out of the trees. It was a person. They walked foreword, lurching like a zombie with every step. I could pick out his wide, empty eyes staring into my soul.

The woodsman, the woodsman

He'll kill off all your friends

The evil voices continued, but they weren't coming from his mouth. His face was scarred with millions of tiny, bloodstained marks. His hair was dark brown, shaved in many places to match his wild look.

The woodsman, the woodsman

You all meet tragic ends

I panicked, the man was coming closer, I started backing into the side of the tent, sweat dripped down my forehead. I wanted to scream but my fear had overcome me. I couldn't say a word as he lurched closer, closer, closer to me. I fell back on the ground and he was right above me. Dark blood dripped onto my face. I shut my eyes but it was no use. His high, raspy voice invaded everything I could think of.