2

The sun was starting to set. They all decided to set up camp for the night and keep moving in the morning. Patty and Josephine started a fire and cooked dinner while everyone else pitched the tents. They ate their rice by the fire in silence. “Y’all know I don’t have a chip on my shoulder right?” Pepper said, causing everyone to look up at her. “Of course sweetie” Josephine’s accent sounded “But I think everyone’s just a little worried that your taking on more than you can chew.” Pepper chuckled to herself at that comment. She knew it was a kind gesture, but a wrong one.

Of course she could take care of them! If she could take care of her alcoholic mother by herself, and get through military school by herself, she could survive. She would help all of them survive. Tricia now spoke “You just don’t smile anymore… you don’t joke anymore.”

It was true. She used to make jokes, making the group laugh, keeping moral up while also hunting for food and protecting the group with her dad.

She used to be the perfect leader type that could joke and have fun but also get stuff done, but now she was quieter and a total commando. In the three days she’d been the sole leader, she’d managed to keep everyone safe but she had also lost her temper several times and shut the group out. She was becoming her dad which pissed her off to no end.

In the morning after packing everything up, the group came across a small pond. Drinking from it the pond was a huge buck. Pepper quickly pulled out her gun with a silencer, if she missed it wouldn’t scar it away.

She held up the gun. Aimed. And fired. 

It was hit between the eyes. Perfect shot.  It was down. At the same time a loud “fuck!” sounded on the other side of the pond behind some bushes. A tall figure stood up, his arms were bare, he had messy hair, and a cross bow. “Are you the dumb bitch the shot my buck?!” he yelled.