6

Rick now had a softness in his eyes, but a firmness in his voice “Then why did you leave?”

“The camp wasn’t safe, there were more tents than people there at the time, they had friends that were coming back sooner or later, so we had to move, not to mention there was only nine of us left, not enough to secure or protect that damned site.”

Hershel nodded and turned to Rick, whispered in his ear and then looked back to her. Rick told her they could stay, and she should help lead with them.

She shook their hands in acceptance, then got up and walked away. She pasted by Daryl, ignoring his eyes that rested heavily on her.

“You made the right call” he said. She turned and looked at him “What? Could you hear all of that?” “Well Yeah” he laughed “why do you think I was sitting there?” “I didn’t even notice you there, you weren’t screaming or making a sexist joke” Pepper said walking away.

She could hear “Asshole” mumbled by him, which made her smile.

Carol, Lori, Beth, and Josse made diner, while the rest of the women, including Carl and the twins, did laundry. Pepper decided she’d be more help taking inventory with Hershel.

After they were done Hershel asked he if she would like to talk. She nodded and he led her to a bench. “You know… you should lighten up” he said bluntly. This shocked her “What do you mean?” He smiled “I can tell you’re a smart one, I can also tell you’re a caring person, Glenn, Patty, Josse, and Jonah have all reassured me of it. I want you joke again, smile again. I see it in you wanting to come out, but you push it down, and that’s no good, and you’re worrying your people. Please let it out, Doctor’s orders.”

She stayed to herself until dinner, deciding she be more talkative then. That night, instead of eating dinner spread out, eating at the benches, they ate on the ground in a circle. Pepper sat between Hershel and Carol. They all talked and laughed around the fire, except Daryl, he just sat there and grunted every time Thomas cut down one of Garrett’s conspiracy theories.

Then the topic of aliens came up. Pepper and Garrett went back and forth supporting the idea of them, arguing with Thomas and Rick playfully, adding to the good mood of the night.

After dinner and everything was cleaned up, they all went back their cells.

While walking to hers, Pepper noticed how all the bigger cells with two beds were filled with the rest of the camp. Nobody was sleeping alone except her, and of course Daryl, who was in the cell next to hers.

She sat up on her bed in the dark. Only the light of the moon cut though the thick dark. She missed her mom and dad, she missed everyone she had lost, she felt guilt, she felt anger. But getting angry wouldn’t help a thing, she had learned that the hard way.

A shadow then appeared, cutting into the moon’s light. At her doorway was Daryl.