23

Pepper reluctantly opened her eyes. She wanted so badly for last night’s events to be just a nightmare, though it was all very real to her. She stared at the ceiling, thinking of Lori and her baby, and Patty and the twins….. the twins.

She quickly sat up. She remembered the pair falling asleep in her bed last night, but they weren’t there anymore. She was panicing.

Instantly she was on her feet, and quickly in Daryl’s cell “Do you know where Tricia and Tyler are?” he slowly opened his eyes and asked “What?”

“I can’t find them!” she yelled. He quickly sat up “Did you check outside?”

“No, I-“

“Pepper calm down, they’re probably outside” he said getting up and stretching.

 She wasn’t thinking, of course they’re outside. It’s time to eat. But what if they weren’t?

She ran outside leaving Daryl. She looked rabid as she searched and called for them from gate to gate to gate. She had run through most of the outside area when Daryl had made his way outside. He saw her running around screaming to his left, and to his right was Hershel, Josse, Carol, and Maggie watching in horror. “I don’t have the heart to tell her” he heard Josse say. “Tell her what?” Daryl said, walking toward them.

“Look at this” she said, handing him a piece of paper.

Dear Josse,

I want to tell you I love you and everyone else. I couldn’t bring myself to leave a letter for Pepper, there’s too much I want to tell her and Tyler says we need to hurry. He says that we can’t stay at the prison because it’s no longer safe. He has completely lost his mind, but I’m going to leave with him anyway because… well, there’s nothing to lose anymore. Also, tell Carl I only talked about Daryl to make him jealous and tell Pepper not to come after us, we’re going to die anyway.

Tricia

There was no time to let the words sink in. “Why haven’t you told her?” Daryl demanded. “Son, look at her. Now isn’t the best time” Hershel said, trying to calm him. “Then when will it be? She’s driving herself crazy trying to find them, she needs to know now!” he yelled, looking over at Pepper who had broken down in the field, and was now crying.

None of them replied. “That is bullshit. I’m telling her, and I’m going to find those kids” Daryl said, running over to Pepper.

When he got to her, he squatted down next to her. She lifted her head out of her hands and wiped away her tears quickly. “They left” he said in a calm voice, handing her the letter. She quickly read it and more tears tried to escape her eyes. “I have to find them, Daryl, I have to” she pleaded. “I know” he said, standing up.

She quickly collected herself and followed Daryl. The two returned to the group. “We’re leaving” Daryl said. “Do you need help?” Glenn said, quickly joining the group, completely oblivious to what’s going on. “I really appreciate it but I’m going to go on my own” Pepper said, giving Glenn a thankful nod. “The hell you are” Daryl quickly said. “I’m not going to put anyone in danger, Patty left them to me, they’re my responsibility. I should have watched them, this is my fault, so I’m going to fix it. Alone” she said.

Daryl wouldn’t accept it. He started to walk off. “Glenn, take care of Rick for me” he called back, referring to Rick’s altered actions and personality. Tyler knew how to drive and the twins left in the red car, so Daryl got into the driver’s seat of the only vehicle the prison now had, other than his motorcycle, and Pepper followed him. She went to the driver’s window and started yelling at him “Daryl, get out. I’m not playing anymore get the fuck out.” “Or what?” was all he said.