15

That morning when Pepper woke up she felt herself pressed up against a warm presence, and arms cloaked around her stomach. She suddenly realized who it was.

When did he do this? Why did he do this? This isn’t like him. All sorts of thoughts buzzed in her head.

All she heard for a while was his breathing. His breath tickled her ear. The whole experience was peaceful, even enjoyable, yet it made her uneasy.

Over his breathing she was beginning to hear footsteps. It was strange because her cell was the farthest down. She pushed the thought away, assuming the person was just strolling up and down the stairs and corridor just as she sometimes did. Then she remembered her deal with Carl.

Within seconds Carl was quietly screaming “Wake up!” Both Pepper and Daryl quickly popped up. “Daryl?” Carl said with a confused look. “I accidentally broke a battery in my bed and didn’t want to blow up so I came in here” Daryl quickly said, getting up and putting his vest on.

“I don’t think that’s what happens” Carl said now facing him. “You’re probably right, but I don’t think it’s good to sleep on acid” Daryl said leaving the room.

She waited for him to say something, she wanted him to come back and say something like “Have fun” or “good luck” or anything. She was almost upset that he just left her.

Carl pulled her out of her cell and outside. He handed her a piece of Jerky and asked her what they’d do first. She pulled out three pieces of chalk; two white ones and a pink one.

They sat and doodled for maybe an hour in silence. Pepper used a white piece of chalk and made a ballet shoe being eaten by dinosaurs. She looked over at Carl, who was about ten feet away from her. “What’s wrong?” she called to him. “I’m too old for this” he said throwing his pink chalk down. “No you’re not. I’m 23 and I’m having the time of my life!” She said with a smile, getting up and walking to him.

Her smile quickly evaporated. See saw four stick figures with thick pink lines across their necks and one stick figure laying down in an oval of pink. “Carl, what is this?” “You said to draw what popped into my mind… and this is all I can think of” he said.

“Carl, you can’t draw these things, what if your dad saw this?” she said, bending down to get eye level with him. “Don’t tell him!” He quickly said. She sighed and agreed, then they both cleaned up his drawings.

Their day was soon interrupted by Rick. He asked Pepper if she would accompany Glenn and Daryl on a run for pain medication and stuff on a list that Hershel had made in preparation for Lori’s baby that was due in a few weeks. She agreed and told Carl they’d try again some other day.

She met Glenn and Daryl by the gates; Daryl on his motorcycle and Glenn in the blue Pickup truck. She quickly jumped in the truck, avoiding Daryl's eyes, and they left.

The ride was silent for maybe twenty minutes.

If you've been reading this I really hope you've liked it so far! This is my first fanfic and I'd really like some feedback on it. I might not continue writing this unless at least one person wants to continue reading it. I'm also open to any suggestions for the story.