7

“Quick question” he said entering her cell. “”Come in” she said sarcastically. “What’s up with the pills earlier?” he asked staring her straight in the eyes.

She knew just what he meant by it. Pepper constantly had all kinds of pills on her that she’d find in case the group ever needed it; pain pills, caffeine pills, she even kept her old flu medication. “Well you see” she smiled “I have this thing called Erectile Dysfunction.”

He sighed “Cut the crap okay? I bet you don’t even know what that means little girl.” She then dropped her smile into a look of disgust. He called her little girl once again.

“I’m 23 asshole, and I know exactly what it means, and I’m sure you do too.” Daryl found it very unfunny and began quietly yelling so he wouldn’t wake the others “Look here Bitch, I just wanted to know what you took awhile ago, the last thing we need is a crack head fucking everything up.”

He said it so coldly, like she meant nothing. “Is that really what you think of me? You think I’m a crack head?” her voice cracked and her throat hurt trying to hold back a few petty tears. She wanted everyone to like and except her so badly that this accusation cut her in two.

Daryl stood there silently, not regretting a single word. She waited for him to speak, then, realizing he wasn’t going to she said “It was a fucking sleep aid, I’ve had insomnia since I was seven.”

He still looked at her silently, not knowing what to say. The moon was now shining on her, her big brown eyes a little watery but beautiful. They had been having an awkward staring match for awhile. Daryl wanted to say something, but he didn’t know what.

Finally she coldly asked him to leave. He did and went back to his cell. He didn’t sleep that night.

That morning Josse and Jonah made everyone breakfast. Later Rick announced the day’s plans. “I want the twins, Carl, and Patty to help Hershel in the garden. Glenn, Maggie, and Garrett on look out in the towers, Daryl and Pepper we need you two to search for more food, and everyone else on walker duty.”

Hearing that brought both Daryl and Pepper back to last night. It was only day two of being there and Pepper didn’t want to complain, but Daryl just blurted “You’ve got to be kidding me! You’re making her go with me?! That little priss can’t help me!” Rick snapped “Daryl, it wasn’t a suggestion! Besides, she’s got a military and hunting background, she’s more than qualified to help you catch a few squirrels.”

Daryl stormed off straight to his bow and motorcycle.

“You coming or what?” he yelled back. Pepper ran after him. He slung his leg over the bike, signaling her to get on. “I’m not getting on that thing” she said crossing her arms. “Why the hell not!” he was getting more annoyed by the second.

“Because I think taking the truck is a better idea.” He turned his bike engine off “And why is that?” “It looks safer, and there’s more room to bring stuff back” she said avoiding eye contact. “I can haul whatever we catch and you back safely on my bike” he sighed. “Maybe before, but you’re taking me remember? There’s no way a buck will fit on the back of that” she smiled.

“Oh please, you just got lucky Sergeant Priss”.

“Get off of the damn bike Daryl or so help me-“ she got cut off. “So help you what?” he was now off of his bike, pressed close to her, and looking angrily down at her, daring her to challenge him.