33

“Hershel, believe me when I say I had the very best intentions this morning and I don’t regret doing it” Pepper said defensively. “I know you did but it’s a little unnerving for everyone to see something like that, especially during times like these… for children to do that will shake you” he said. “I talked to them about it, I know their limitations and I know this is the right decision. Patty died because she’d never learned how to defend herself, I kid you not, she never killed a single Walker, and I won’t let history repeat itself” Pepper said firmly, defending her actions completely.

Hershel eyed her for a while. “I know you’ll stand by every decision you’ll make, and I admire that. You’ve given me every reason to trust you and I do, that’s why I want you to take over for a while.”

“Hershel, I’m not doing that, these are your people, not mine” she said firmly. “These people are your family now. They all look up to you, there’s no way I can keep trying to keep things going and try to coax Rick back. They need someone to lead them, and that’s not me” he told her in an almost pleading manor.

“But what am I supposed to lead them for? Is there something wrong? Is there something I don’t know about or I’m completely missing?” she asked.

“… When that women visited us a while back she told us there’s a town” he began.

“Town?” she inquired.

“Yes, a town. She said it was completely safe and highly functional. It’s run a guy that calls himself the Governor. As of now there hasn’t been any threats… but you never know now with people” He said.

“Why didn’t you two tell me?” she asked as a feeling arose that couldn’t be placed. “It didn’t seem like an issue at the time… but now everything is an issue” he said.

Pepper relinquished a sigh and said “Okay… when do I start?” “I’ll tell everyone tonight; ever since you arrived you’ve been second in command anyway-“

Just then a familiar roar of an engine penetrated the air. Daryl was approaching the gates, coming back from grabbing a few quick squirrels for the night.

The two watched Carol and Jonah let him in.

“Don’t worry” he said getting up and leaving the table. The way he so smoothly walking amazed Pepper; she’d never have guessed he wore a makeshift prosthetic.

Her thoughts were soon cut off by Daryl’s shadow, cutting his shady silhouette over her. “I would’ve told you I was going out, but I figured you were asleep” he said, taking the spot Hershel just left. “There’s no need to check in with me, I’m not your keeper. I was just talking to the twins” she smiled.

“I never know with you; I could sneeze the wrong way one day and you’d slice my nuts off, but is everything good now?” he said in his usual dry humor. “Everything’s fine now… and speaking of nuts…” she said, glancing around.

“What?” he asked, his attention now fully grabbed. “I was thinking that maybe tonight we could ‘get familiar’ again” she said with a devilish grin. “Why wait?” he smirked, asking her quickly.