26

The dry air penetrated every inch of her as she woke back into consciousness. It was probably the hottest day Pepper had woken up to in a while. She sat up and looked at her jacket on the floor. “I really can’t deal today” she said, as if to the jacket. She brushed her hand through her hair and quickly made her way outside to the usual morning meeting area of the prison.

It was early, the sun had just come up, and only Carol, who was cooking, and Hershel were up. Pepper gave them both a friendly nod as they glanced over to her.

She decided to try to help but kept her arm hidden whilst walking up to Carol. “Need any help?” she asked her.

“No, I’m just about done, but thanks for asking. You’re up pretty early.” Carol said while stirring the mystery meat of the day.

“Yeah, don’t know why, but I woke up thinking I was late for school… even though I’ve been out for a while even before all of this… I really don’t know why” Pepper laughed, trying to forget about everything plaguing her mind.

Carol smiled. Pepper always made her smile. “What’s wrong with your arm?” Carol asked. She of all people could tell when someone was hiding something; she knew all of the tricks.

 “It was an accident” Pepper said, still hiding her arm.

Carol instantly stopped stirring and looked up. She hurried over to her and led her to a table and sat her down. “Who hurt you?” she said putting a hand on her shoulder.

“Let me explain” Pepper said, finally revealing her arm. The color that was once faint was now a vibrant purple with brown accents. Carols gasped at the sight.

“Who did this to you? What happened yesterday?” she asked.

“I got stuck in some mud… Daryl had trouble getting me out” she told her, almost reluctantly. “He did this?” she asked in disbelief.

“Carol, it was an accident, I swear! I was stuck… if he didn’t pull me out I would have died.”

“Do you promise? I don’t want you to end up like me… how I was… if he is hurting you don’t hide it” she said. “I swear he’s not, you know he wouldn’t” Pepper said, putting her hand on Carol’s.

They shared a look; one that told each other everything.

The rest of the group all arrived as if at once and they served the food and didn’t breathe another word of the subject.

Pepper, Glenn, and Maggie sat together and slightly chattered. The two never asked Pepper about her arm even though she knew they saw it; she caught them staring at it many times.

Tricia scooted next to Pepper with her bowl and quietly started eating.

“Good Morning, glad to have you back” Glenn smiled to her. “Great to be back” Tricia said between bites. “Where is your brother at?” Pepper asked in a quick voice, not wanting to relive looking and worrying for him again.