12

The next few days were slow. With nothing to do but talk, everyone was starting to get a little closer. Pepper was starting to notice Daryl was ignoring her. He’d talk a little to the others but walked away whenever she came near.

It had been about four days of calmness, and Rick was holding a meeting, telling the whole camp not to put down their guard. He went on about some guy called “The Governor” and how anything could happen. In the distance there was a faint moaning. A shuffling figure was approaching them. A Walker had gotten in.

A gasp came from Patty as she scooped up her children in her arms. Rick got up but was stopped by Pepper’s hand and a “wait.”

She slowly walked up to it with one of the baseball bats Glenn had brought back to use as a weapon. She was about three feet away from the beast when she let out a loud muffled cry.

“What’s wrong with her? Who is that?” Glenn asked, turning to Jonah. “That’s Pepper’s father” he said in shock as if he didn’t even believe what he was saying. Everyone turned to him, making sure they heard him right, then immediately back to the pair after hearing a loud “whack!”

Pepper had swung at her decaying father, but he wasn’t done yet.

He lunged at her and she hit him once again, but he continued to limp and groan after her. She kicked him back and brought the bat down directly on top of his head.

He was now down. She continued to hit his lifeless body several unnecessary times before falling to her knees next to it.”I knew you were a stupid son of a bitch” she said.

She got up, still looking down at her father’s unrecognizable body, the rest were still watching in horror.

She finally spoke. “Thomas!” she screamed angrily turning back to the group. Her face was contorted with rage. Thomas slowly walked toward her. Once they were within an arm’s length away from each other she spoke again “I thought you told me he was dead.” He avoided her eyes “That’s what I thought. I saw him go down.” She now began to drill him, just as she was drilled way back when.

“You told me you personally took care of him when you helped bury the bodies that day!” Her words became frantic. “When I went to bury the bodies he was gone. I didn’t want to alarm you” he said avoiding her eyes that were now burning holes into his. Her face twitched at his comment “Oh thank you Thomas, thank you so much for your nobility, but tell me this” she said walking to the nearest wall “Does this look alarmed?” She slammed the bat into the wall.

“What about this?” she questioned swinging the bat again. She hit the wall again and again, chipping away at the brick.

“Pepper please fucking-“ Daryl’s voice was quick and paniced as he grabbed the bat from her. As he did so, she instantly turned around, blindly punching his cheek.