SEVEN // Micah

A/N: Here's a Micah POV for ya :)

HOW SHE'S HELPING HIM

"I dunno, man. She's so confusing," Micah sighs, shaking his head. "I thought she was tryin' to get my attention or somethin' in class today, but I dunno. Maybe not."

Tyler's smirk is probably more smug than it has ever been. "How funny is this that you wanna girl to notice you?" He snickers, crossing his arms over his chest triumphantly. "Oh how the tables have turned," He coos mockingly.

"Shut up," I bite back, glaring at him. Then I can't help but continue the conversation. "But she's ignored me for like—the past two weeks? So why is she all of the sudden—ugh. I sound like a girl."

"Nah," Tyler shakes his head. "You sound like someone who likes someone a lot."

I scoff, "Thanks."

My best friend shrugs. "I'm not wrong," He pauses. "Y'know, I think her ignoring you has helped. You, I mean. It's helped."

"Helped what?" I question.

"Your ego," Tyler replies simply with a nonchalant shrug. "But I mean, I'm friends with Taylor—"

I turn my head toward him, my eyebrows furrowing. "Who's that?"

"Piper's best friend."

I roll my eyes, turning toward my locker. I rummage through it, searching for my phone charger. I can't find it. Great.

"C'mon, man. I could talk to her and ask if—"

"No," I cut him off there, my face scrunching up incredulously. "No, Ty, look I don't want you to play matchmaker here, okay? It's fine."

"Fine," He shrugs, leaning back against the wall. "I'll stay out of it."

"Thank you," I breathe a sigh of relief. "Hey, I'm gonna go out to my truck for a sec. Tell Coach I'll be back in like five minutes."

He nods, "'Kay. We'll prob'ly be on the field."

"Gotcha," I nod, waving as I jog out of the locker room.

I take the steps two at a time to get back on the main level of the school. We use the locker rooms in the downstairs hallway of the gym for football, and I normally don't mind it, unless there's a situation like this where I need to get something from my truck.

I eventually make it to the front doors, and I jog out the front, heading toward the student parking lot. It's mainly empty, except for my truck and a couple other cars.

As I get closer to the parking lot I see a car parked one space away from my truck with someone leaning against the hood. I furrow my eyebrows as I walk down the concrete stairs. No one usually parks next to me.

I realize quickly that it's Piper, but she's on her phone.

It's a good two-minute battle in my mind on if I should say hey to her or not. I end up saying hey to her anyway, but I sound like an idiot.

"Oh, hey." Why is the 'oh' there? Apparently I can't just say 'hey' like a normal guy.

"Hey," She replies, and sounds so casual. She goes back to her game.

I stare at her in confusion for a moment before I walk around to the passenger side of my car. I should probably try to look for my phone charger.

"You here to watch the game?" I ask, trying to spark a small amount of conversation.

"Nah, just here because I can. The sunset looks really pretty from this spot."

I laugh, my shoulders shaking as I look under the seat for my charger. It's not there. Lovely.

"You're funny," I say when I turn back around. I stand upright and shut the passenger door, leaning back against it. I cross my arms over my chest, "So, seriously. What's up?"

She shrugs, shutting her phone off and putting it in her pocket. "M'singin' the national anthem tonight," She says. "I'm waitin' for a friend right now, though."

"Ohh," I nod. The friend is probably Taylor that Tyler was talking about earlier. "So when we hear the anthem, I'll know that's you singin'."

I watch as her face drops, and I can't tell if I should find it funny or be worried.

"Y-Yeah," She mumbles, trying to force a smile. "I guess you will."

Shit, make it better. Do something, idiot. "I won't tell anyone," I say with a shrug, trying not to be too serious about it. "If you don't want people to know."

She laughs, tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear. I swallow thickly, trying not to think about how cute she looks or how I'd like to one day, I don't know, maybe fix her hair like that just because she looks adorable with it tucked behind her ear—

"It's weird," She says.

"S'fine," I reply.

She looks up at me with furrowed eyebrows, "You're weird." She pauses, blushing. "Most people would tease me about not wanting others to know."

I shrug, grinning. "I'm not most people."

She rolls her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. "God, you're gonna make this sound like a chick flick, aren't you?"

I grin more, laughing and nodding. "It's what I do best," I shrug nonchalantly. "I wish I could stay and talk more, but Coach is gonna send out a search party for me if I don't get back in there."

"Don't worry about it," She says with a shake of the head. "Good luck."

"Thanks," I smile. "I'll see you around?" I try not to make it sound like a question, but it's hard when I'm not too sure if I'll actually see her around. She has avoided me these past few weeks, so I have no idea if she's going to continue that or what. I hope she doesn't.

"Yeah," She grins, and it's then that I notice she has dimples. "You will. I'll try not to ignore you this time," She laughs quietly, shyly. "Sorry about that, by the way."

I think back to what Tyler told me, and end up waving her off. "Don't worry about it," I say, not meaning to mirror her from a few seconds earlier, but I do. "It was confusing," I admit, "but kinda enlightening. So thanks for it."

She raises an eyebrow at me cautiously, "You're thanking me for ignoring you?"

I nod. "Yeah, I guess I am," I shrug, waving with a smile. "See you around, Piper."

"See you around, Micah," She replies, smiling back.

I turn and begin walking back toward the concrete stairs, feeling a lot lighter and surprisingly a bit happier.

I've got it bad.