THIRTY-TWO // Piper

A/N: I know I'm not giving much warning, but the next chapter is the last (I know, I'm emotional, too). Love you guys.

[Side note— there will probably be an epilogue]

HOW THINGS ARE BEGINNING TO MAKE SENSE AGAIN

I don't check my phone before I go to bed, instead leaving it for the morning. My mind is racing when I remember I finished the article last night, completely. It's officially done. All the way.

            I feel lighter. I also don't feel any different.

            I shrug the feeling away as I carefully place Bandit beside me so I can get out of bed. My phone remains in its same spot, plugged in on the desk lying face down.

            When I grab it, I'm not at all surprised by the amount of text messages I have to sort through. I was expecting this.

            The first few are mom, though. She ended up going into the office today and is working until dad's plane arrives at eight, so they won't be back until late.

            Then, there's Taylor. She sent a picture of herself, saying she's never cleaned so much in her life. I chuckle as I type out a reply, reminding her that she has, this time last year.

            And then to the messages I was only half-expecting: ones from Micah. The first one a simple, "I'm sorry," and then as time went on I can tell he became more and more freaked out by me not answering him, asking if I was okay. His final message is from around midnight.

>Mic: If it's not too much to ask and if you'll still have me, I wanna hang out tomorrow. If you want space or something then that's okay, I understand. I'm sorry again Pipes

            My lips form a pout as I read through all of his messages. Okay, maybe not answering him was a bad idea. That was sort of an asshole move.

>I'd love to. My house?

            After sending my reply, I reach down and pour some food into Bandit's bowl. He doesn't stir, though, he's still sound asleep. But I know he wakes up hungry and thirsty, so I make sure to fill his water bowl as well.

            I manage to get through my entire morning routine (that I should do more often) before Micah texts me back.

>Mic: Sounds good. What time?

            I bet he just woke up.

>Whenever. I'm getting dressed now and then I'll be presentable

>Mic: I'll be over after I shower and stuff

            He still sounds off. Trying to not think about it too much, though, I text him back.

>Sounds good. You can just come in through the garage

            I stuff my phone in my back pocket, heading out to the kitchen for some form of breakfast food.

+++

Micah arrives when I'm in the midst of doing dishes at the kitchen sink.

            "Oh hey." I smile, wrist deep in soapy water. My phone is on top of the coffee pot, playing Ed Sheeran's Divide album. "I'm just washin' these for my mom."

            He sets his keys down on the table. "How can I help?"

            I stare at him incredulously for a moment before answering. "Oh, uh—You can dry, if you want. The towels are in that drawer there."