ELEVEN // Micah

A/N: I'm gonna start uploading a chapter on here as I write a new one on my laptop, so essentially you guys are like three chapters or so behind, but that's okay. Gives me time to do minor editing and other fun technical stuff :))

HOW SHE DISTRACTS HIM

"Anderson! Might wanna pick up the pace!"

I nearly roll my eyes, almost screwing up and muttering, fuck off already out loud. Thankfully, I don't. That would get me in a lot more trouble than I need to be right now.

Tyler shoots me a look that says 'what's up with you?' but I ignore it and continue doing laps – even though we should be doing partner throws right now. Who cares? I don't.

After we finish working out for the day, I'm the first one back into the locker room. I hope to be the first one home, but the look Tyler gave me earlier had therapist written all over it. The last thing I need is him telling me how to deal with my feelings and saying I should come to Youth tomorrow to relax.

"So am I gonna have to force it out of you, or are you gonna spill?"

I stay focused on changing my shirt and stuffing the sweaty clothes into my duffle bag. I don't even give him a verbal answer, or a grunt. I don't want to talk about it.

Tyler sighs heavily, and it's that sigh he does when he knows I'm being difficult and he wants me to know that he knows it.

It's annoying, if anything.

"How's Piper?" He tries, absentmindedly asking the question as he tugs his shirt over his head. I can feel him stare at me strangely when I don't answer, and then he gasps almost in a realization. "Ah, so that's it."

I wouldn't be as intrigued as I am if he didn't say that like he knew something already. "What?" I realize I answered too quickly when a small smirk tugs at his lips.

Asshole.

"I don't even know anythin', I just know you wouldn't look at me like that if it wasn't somethin'."

"You're an asshole," I grumble out, zipping up my duffle bag. I shrug it over one shoulder, glaring at him as I try to exit the locker room.

He merely laughs, taking the small insult in stride. "Thanks, I know. But seriously, s'up?"

"Nothing's 'up'," I reply almost instantly, feeling myself get irritated. I turn around, narrowing my eyes at him. He continues to smirk, as if this is all amusing to him.

"You have got it bad, my friend," He chuckles out, shaking his head. He swings his duffle bag onto his shoulder, still not wiping the smile off his face as he brushes past me.

That's it.

I turn on my heel and follow him, finally catching up to him just outside the gym doors. He still looks as smug as ever.

"You know something," I say, and it's more of an accusation than a statement, but it still makes him laugh.

"I don't," He shakes his head, holding his hands up in defense. "All I know, is you were gonna ask Piper to come to the game on Thursday, and I'm guessin' she turned you down with the pissy way you've been stompin' around all afternoon."

"I'm not pissed," I grumble in defense, again hating how Tyler can actually see right through me. Blessing and a curse.

"Hm, tell that to your attitude," He replies easily, sounding almost exactly like my younger sister.

"Fine," I mutter, crossing my arms over my chest as we walk through the front doors. "She said she'd think about it, okay? And I don't know what the hell that means, so—"

"It means she'll think about it," He replies with a shrug.

"I know, but—It's a simple yes or no question, so why did she—"

"Dear God," Tyler groans, shaking his head. "Please tell me you didn't say that to her."

I'm silent as we walk down the stairs leading into the school parking lot. I scratch the back of my head awkwardly, keeping my eyes trained on the asphalt.

"Did I sound like an—"

"Of course you sounded like a total asshole, man!" Tyler cries out suddenly, tossing his duffle back into the backseat of his car. "You don't say stuff like that to a woman! That's rude!"

"Okay, well I didn't—"

"You didn't think. Bingo," He nods, pointing at me accusingly.

"You're interrupting me a lot today," I deadpan, turning and tossing my duffle bag in the back of my truck.

"Sorry about that," He replies sheepishly. "Don't mean to. But man, you've gotta think before you speak sometimes."

"Yeah, yeah, I figured that much," I sigh, leaning back against the passenger door of my truck. "So I guess I should apologize?" Tyler nods. I lean my head back against the window. "I will tomorrow. Let's hope she doesn't hate me."

"I don't think she will," He shrugs. "Piper doesn't hate people. She might not care for a couple of 'em, but she doesn't hate 'em. She's too nice for that."