NINETEEN // Piper

A/N: I listened to 'Keep It From You' by Glades while I wrote this. I put the song up there if you'd like to listen to it while you read.

WHY SHE HASN'T TALKED ABOUT IT YET

I hardly get any sleep. Thankfully, Bandit sleeps next to my shoulder the whole night, his paw resting on my pillow close to my cheek. It's comforting having him there, even if I just watched him sleep most of the night because I couldn't.

I'm awake half an hour before my alarm goes off, but somehow I manage to drag myself out of bed fifteen minutes later than usual. Bandit meows in protest, yawns, and then curls up on my pillow. I chuckle quietly, petting him gently. I guess my pillow is a warm bed for him.

            I go into the bathroom and wash my face, cringing at the dark circles underneath my eyes that became more prominent in the last twenty-four hours. I dry my face, blowing a sigh past my lips. I look insanely tired. But I don't feel like staying in bed today.

            I turn the light off in the bathroom, heading back down the hall to my room. Mom meets me in the hallway, looking puzzled as she sips her coffee.

            "You're goin' to school?" She asks, raising both eyebrows.

            I nod, half-shrugging, half-tilting my head to the side in confusion. "Yeah, I guess."

            She shrugs in response, sipping more of her coffee. "That's fine. I'll just have to drive you." She pauses, and I nod, leaning against my doorframe. "We'll go get your car after school. Maybe grab dinner while we're out."

            "'Kay," I nod again.

            She walks quietly back down the hall to the kitchen. I stumble into my bedroom to get dressed. I look over at my pillow, seeing Bandit still sound asleep. It brings a small smile to my face to see him.

            I find one of my oversized sweaters and throw it over my head, pulling on a sports bra a second later – because I had forgot to put it on before. I grab my favorite pair of stretchy, black jeans and tug those on, sighing at how comfortable they feel. There's a reason they're my favorite.

            I look back at my clock, seeing that I only have about ten more minutes before I need to leave. I slip my feet into my Keds as I run a brush through my hair, letting it fall naturally down my shoulders today. I don't have the time (or motivation) to do anything else with it.

            I walk back toward my bed, tugging my phone off the charger. I open my messages, biting my bottom lip anxiously when I see I never responded to Micah. I sigh quietly, going to text Taylor.

>Hey can you bring my car keys with you today? I forgot I left them with you haha

            She replies a second later saying that she will. I decide to open Micah's messages.

>Mic: Hey where'd you run off to? Rox and I can't find you anywhere

>Mic: Pipes?

>Mic: Your car is still here... I hope you're alright.

            And then there's one from around midnight last night.

>Mic: Taylor told me something came up. I hope everything's okay! Lmk if I can do anything for you

            I smile softly after reading that one. I so don't deserve him.

            I send him a quick text back, just so I don't entirely worry him. I let him know I'm alright, and that I'll be at school. Something came up last night and I had to leave earlier than expected.