TWENTY-SEVEN // Piper

A/N: *sinks into pillows* this is so cute and i want a boyfriend like micah

HOW HAYRIDES AND
PINKY-PROMISES CAN MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER

True to mom's word, dad arrives home two hours later, around four o'clock. This only causes my anxiety to rise and nearly text Micah to cancel the hayride plans for tonight. Taylor talks me out of it, though, and suggests picking out an outfit to pass the time instead of worrying so much my hair falls out.

            "Does this look good?" I ask Taylor – she's on FaceTime with me now – as I hold up my maroon sweater in front of my body. I have black jeans on currently, but I can't decide on the maroon or cream sweater. I know I'll need a sweater because it's the middle of November and cold as shit outside, but I'm indecisive.

            "I like it!" She exclaims, nodding furiously. "Do you still have your black boots?"

            "Um..." I toss the sweater on my bed and begin the search for the boots. "There's these?" I hold the weathered-gray boots up to the camera, my uncertain expression in the background.

            "Those are still cute," She affirms. "I think they'll look good."

            "Thanks sis," I breathe a sigh of relief, tossing the shoes on the floor. I grab my phone off my nightstand so I can lay down on my bed, still in my sports bra. My eyes flick to the clock for a second, frowning at the time. "I still have an hour."

            "Yeah," She scrunches her nose, knowing I despise long stretches of time like this. "When's Ash coming up?" But subject changes help a great deal.

            "Prob'ly not until ten," I reply with a sad smile. "She said she had to feed at the barn, and then she'd be able to leave."

            "Ohh." Tay nods, then asking how Bandit is doing.

            The hour flies by before I realize it, and soon I'm reading the text from Micah saying he is on his way. It sends a jolt of excitement – and nervousness? – down my spine as I scramble to find my shoes.

            Taylor giggles at my frantic state, telling me I can text her whenever I need, even if it's in the middle of the hayride, before we hang up.

            I lace my boots up, tugging on the hem of my sweater awkwardly in the mirror. I run my fingers through my hair with a sigh, deciding I need to go deal with mom and dad in the living room.

            Well, dad. Mom knows and I think we silently agreed to let me tell dad about Micah, rather than her telling him. The hornets are already swarming, but they haven't killed me before, so let's hope they won't now.

            I tuck my phone in my back pocket, scratching Bandit on the head lovingly before I leave my room, turning the light off on my way out.

            I hear mom and dad talking in the living room before I even get all the way down the hallway. Dad is talking about his day, how he could have changed the oil in ten cars faster than the people at the shop could have in one. I smirk softly, enjoying hearing him talk about cars again, something other than phones.

            When I make my appearance in the living room, mom smiles in my direction, but dad's face screams confusion.

            "Where're you goin'?" He asks, no teasing or sarcasm anywhere.

            It's okay, I whisper to myself. "Um, on a hayride."

            He furrows his eyebrows, glancing at mom for help, but she nods back toward me. "With Taylor?"