EPILOGUE

A/N: Here she is. I'm so sad. But so so happy at the same time.

In the middle of my first semester at Hills University, a package is sent to my house. I don't realize it's for me initially, until my mom sets it down in the middle of my Pre-Calculus book.

            I look up at her with furrowed eyebrows. She never interrupts my studying nights.

            "It's for you," She clarifies, her eyes sad. "It says it's from New York."

            My heart drops into my stomach. Why would he...?

            I nod anyway, looking down at the package. It's a simple bubble envelope, one of those you can buy for less than a dollar at the post office to send something small in. And it has a return address in the corner, the city one that I recognize immediately. It's him.

            Mom leaves my room while I open the envelope, whether to give me privacy or what I don't know. Micah and I's relationship was never a secret to her. But I have a feeling this is different.

            When I get the envelope open, a letter and a box fall out. The box is long and white, very obviously a jewelry box. Tears pool in my eyes.

            I open the letter first and the handwriting is his. There's no mistaking it.

Dear honey,

I found this today. It was supposed to be your graduation present, but when I forgot it there, I meant to give it to you on our anniversary date in June before I left. I know we didn't make it there, but that doesn't mean I don't want you to have it.

You can wear it or tuck it away or throw it away, I don't mind. I just thought you would like to have it.

I hope I did this whole letter thing right. You're a lot better at it than I am.

Speaking of that, write me back if you want. I miss hearing from you. The return address is the house I live in with my mom and Rox, so feel free to send it here.

Anyway, I'll let you go so you can open the box (I know you came to the letter first, you sentimental mess).

Love always,

Your dork.

P.S. Roxie really misses you. We wouldn't mind it if you came to visit. Or if we could FaceTime. If you don't want to, I understand. I hope you're doing alright.

            I hastily wipe at my cheeks when I finish reading the letter, half-unsure if I even read some of that right because of my blurry vision.

            Goodness, is he trying to kill me?

            I grab the box and pop it open, the tears coming back in full force once I do. He's trying to kill me. That's exactly what he's doing.

            The necklace is a honeycomb outline with a bee in the middle. The tag says, 'to: my forever honey'. I know he wrote that before May, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.

            I take in a shaky breath as I close the jewelry box, setting it to the side with the letter

            A second later, though, I can't help myself as I grab a piece of paper and pen, beginning to write.

Dear dork,

Thank you for the necklace. I love it.

I wouldn't mind being your pen pal for a little while.

Love always,

Your honey

P.S. Tell Roxie I miss her, too.