CHAPTER 10: "I'm a survivor"

I had spent the whole day getting lessons in how to fight from Lincoln. Ever since the bridge everything had turned sour. He warned me I'd need to know how to fight now more than ever. Once I snuck back into camp I made my way over to Octavia sitting next to her and groaning massaging my sore muscles making her chuckle. "Feel dead yet?" Octavia asked amused by it all.

"I swear if I knew it was all going to be this much trouble I would have played damsel forever." I huffed letting my body fall limp on hers.

"Are you and Bell hooking up?" Octavia asked seriously making me wrinkle my nose.

"I would never sleep with your brother Octavia." I commented. "It's too weird."

"No sign of your brother or the others yet." Monty said looking over the fence.

"Okay I don't care." Octavia stated as a flower caught her eye. They then heard Jasper telling stories over and over again. "That's not even his line." Octavia spat to Monty and me as I was drinking water like I drank moonshine. Religiously. "Fin said that."

"Pure animal instinct?" I scoffed as we all laughed together doubling over in fits of it.

"More like pure pants wetting panic." Octavia scoffed.

"It was probably the moonshine that boy can't keep down. It seriously goes straight through him." I muttered making Monty look to me with a small smile on his lips.

"Hm my boy needs to learn how to hold his moonshine like he holds his herbs." Monty grinned wiggling his eyebrows making me shake my head and push him away as I laughed.

"Hey let us have this." Monty said gesturing over to Jasper.

"Us?" Octavia asked looking at him as if he'd grown three heads.

"Look at him my boys a folk hero. He even gave us a bigger tent." Monty stated grinning.

"It's all about the tents Octavia." I tapped my nose at Monty and he scoffed rolling his eyes. Our eyes then all snapped to outside the safety of our fence as we heard a noise. I glanced over to Octavia in fear that it was Lincoln who was going to get caught. One man against many guns, it was simply not doable. I then pushed past everyone running outside of the fence. Once we got there we were looking around. My brown eyes widened in disbelief. I saw a haggard and cadaverous blood stained man lying on the ground. My stomach clenched in pain as I felt sympathy for anyone how looked that way. I crouched down touching the shoulder but the man scrambled away quickly as if I'd almost stabbed him and I jumped back, stumbling into Octavia as we watched the man cower away in fear. He was curled up and I took a step closer seeing someone I never thought I'd see again.

"Murphy?" Octavia asked kneeling down to him. Looking at him now, I couldn't imagine what had happened to him in those few days he was away. I walked over to him slowly creeping across the forest floor. Kneeling down I reached out pulling him up and helping him inside our camp regardless of what anyone said. As I placed him in the drop ship I knelt down next to him looking over his wounds knowing full well I was no doctor.

"What the hell happened to you?" I whispered questioningly before I even had the chance to speak up. He just looked at me trying to throw away his own pain.

"I was tortured in a prison camp for three days. Thank you for taking me in." He thanked me quickly looking into my brown soulless eyes.

"You are going to have a badass scar at the end of this." I tried to lighten the mood making him chuckle lightly still quivering in the corner.

"Scars aren't really my thing." He offhandedly commented. I kept my eyes on him knowing there was something different. Well he had been kicked out and tortured. I wasn't surprised but more like alert.