Chapter 8

Ivy stood in front of her bathroom mirror, running her fingers through her hair. It was so silky, smooth, and shiny from the spa treatment. She had visited the salon after Krista left and treated herself to unimaginable pleasures.

She got her hair trimmed, she got a mani/pedi and a facial and she felt fantastic. She was ready to take on the world and show her new employer that they made the best decision when they offered her this job.

Doing her makeup exactly how Krista had instructed her had yielded the results that she wanted, next came her work attire; she chose the fitted black skinny dress pants with the emerald green silk button down. The color of the blouse against her skin and hair made her look downright gorgeous.

Ivy was pleased with everything she saw and that just boosted her confidence tenfold. She had toyed with the idea of wearing flats, thinking she would be doing a ton of walking but she wanted to come across as professional, like a boss, so she opted for her heels.

Last night before retiring to bed, she had sat down with a pad and pen and jotted down some ice breaking exercises to do with her team. She needed a way to get to know her team and learn whose personalities were strongest, who worked well in teams, and who thrived working independently. This would help her gauge where the team was, what areas needed focus and where they could use improvement also. She had planned on bringing each of the team members into her office for one-on-one evaluations too. She had to get a handle on what was going on in this area of Wallace and get any issues fixed so they could obtain the new account they so desperately wanted.

She wanted to show Jensen by end of business today what her plan was, she wanted him to have the upmost pride in her and her team. Ivy could care less about individual accolades, she wanted the recognition for her entire team.

She gathered her purse and the case that Krista and her family had presented her with when she graduated college.

It was a soft, supple leather case with two short handles. It would be perfect for her company provided laptop and I Pad plus any other electronics they may bestow upon her.

Checking the time on the microwave clock she knew her car would be arriving soon and decided to go on down to the lobby and wait for Daryl. But who was she kidding? She was nervous and just waiting in her apartment was driving her crazy.

If he was as punctual as he seemed to be she would only have to wait about five minutes anyway and that was a good thing. The elevator bell dinged signaling she had arrived at the lobby.

Stepping out she was not surprised to see the ever present and faithful Davis but instead of just standing there he was deep in conversation with another employee but did not fail to give a slight smile and wave to her.

She returned the sentiment as she headed towards the front window, waiting on her ride. While killing time she took her phone from her purse and sent a quick text to Krista.

Me: Hey girl! I'm all ready for the very important first day! I did exactly what you said and my makeup came out flawless! I went to the spa Ms. Rachel told us about and got my hair trimmed and a mani/pedi. It felt amazing! I miss you bestie! I will call you after work and fill you in on all things Wallace! Love you!

Ivy didn't have to wait long before her phone pinged back with a response from Krista!

KT: See? I told you it was easy! I'm so excited for you and astoundingly happy that you indulged yourself and went to the spa! You deserve it Bells, you really do. Now, have a great day and please call me whenever you can; I want to hear about your awesomely wonderful day! Love you too!

Ivy grinned like an idiot at her conversation with Krista. She always made her feel like she was invincible and could do anything, and this was one of those days when she really felt like she could.

Just as she put her phone away Daryl pulled up in the company car, a 2017 Mercedes of some sort. Ivy was never very good at knowing the car models; she just knew it was a damn nice car and she felt blessed to have a ride to and from work every day.

Jumping out of the parked car, Daryl got the back passenger door for Ivy and giving her a lovely smile along with it.

"Good morning Ms. Glenn . You look very pretty." Ivy blushed at his polite compliment.

"Daryl you are too sweet, thank you, and good morning to you as well" Ivy smiled at the man as she slid into the car, buckling up and anticipating the drive to her new job.

There was no conversation after that between her and Daryl, which was just fine as Ivy listened to the lovely classical music that filled the cabin of the car. It was soft, melodic and soothing.

She made a point to look at her phone for the time, so she would have an idea of how long it would take her to get to work each morning. They pulled from the curb at exactly seven thirty-five and when they pulled up in front of Wallace's building it was seven forty-seven. Twelve minutes; now that was a commute she could live with!

As soon as Daryl helped her out of the car another man, a security officer she assumed, was waiting to open the door for her; and she stepped inside of the most sumptuous building she'd ever seen, it was even more beautiful than Emerald Heights!

A very efficient but polite older woman named Darlene was waiting for her with a smile and she immediately put Ivy at ease.

"Good morning Ms. Glenn. I'm Darlene, the company's main receptionist and all around 'Girl Friday'. Here is your temporary badge. Mr. Woods will see that you make your appointment with HR this morning to get your permanent one.

Now come this way darling. Chop, chop. We can't keep Mr. Woods waiting, He hates that!" She chuckled and somehow Ivy knew she spoke the absolute truth.

They stepped into an elevator very clearly marked Executive Use ONLY! And Ivy couldn't help but feel a little pride that she was included in that group.

She watched Darlene press the button for the 15th floor but Ivy was sure that her department was somewhere else; not where the executive offices were.

When they arrived at their destination Darlene walked towards a young red haired woman who was very professionally dressed and sitting behind an immense antique type desk.

"Sam, this is Ivy Glenn the new project manager for advertising. Ivy this is Samantha LeCroix and God knows how she puts up with Jensen but she does. The child seriously needs extra jewels in her crown!" Darlene cackled.

"Well we all know that he likes to crack the whip" Sam quipped back. This remark caused both ladies to burst into a fit of giggles. Perhaps it's an inside joke thought Ivy.

"I leave you in very capable hands and have a wonderful first day dear." And with that she power walked to the elevator and was gone just like that.

"It's very nice to finally meet you Ivy" Sam said extending her hand. Ivy returned the handshake and remarked "What part of Louisiana are you from?" Sam smirked. "Is it that obvious? I'm from Rayne, and you? What part of the south are you from?"

"Georgia" Ivy responded. "Oh cher we are going to get along just fine. Now come on, Mr. Woods is waiting for you."

When Sam opened the office door, there he sat looking the handsome devil he was born to surely be. He was wearing a black fitted suit and a smirk that was making Ivy's body heat up like never before. He rose gracefully and walked from around his desk, extending his hand he said with that sultry voice of his "Good morning Ms. Glenn. Welcome to Wallace Advertising."

Taking his hand Ivy said "Good morning Mr. Woods. It's a pleasure to be here."

Woo Hoo!! Let the games begin!