Eighteen- Breakroom

Ana

I sit in the office for a few minutes, reading, before I decide to do some schoolwork. I get out my textbook and begin where I had left off.

A soft knock comes from the door and I look up to see Scott. He's wearing red scrubs and looks tired. A cup of coffee is in his hands and he downs the rest in one quick gulp.

"Hey princess, where's Kirstin?"
"S-She had a p-patient." I stutter, I wish I wasn't alone. I want Kirstin back. His sleepy smile turns to sad frown and he goes to say something else but stops.
"Okay then, I'll see you later princess." He forces out
"Bye." I say quietly, kind of relieved he left.

I find it hard to write with out a table and I struggle to make it neat. An image of the table in the break room pops into my head and I gather my stuff.

I backtrace our steps to the break room and sit down at the table. After completing a chapter in my history book, I start on math. After about two hours, Kevin walks in.

"Hey princess, what are you doing?" He says with a smile
"Math, what are you doing?" I ask
"Working." He says sarcastically
"Well I know that." I say back sarcastically
He chuckles at me and rummages through the fridge before finally pulling out a water.
"Want one?" He offers
"No thank you, I'm fine."
"Okay, so what are you doing in math?" He ask and looks over my shoulder. I move out of his way so he can see better.
"Oh, I remember this. Do you need help?"
"Yes please, with number 9." I say and point to the problem."

He helps me with the problem and I thank him. He goes back to working and I'm left alone again. I move on after a little while to English. After doing a test and vocabulary words, I read part of my science book. I'm learning about the different types of cells. I draw a picture of an animal cell and a plant cell and label the different organelles. Kirstin comes in with a stack of papers in her hands. She sets them on the table and sits down beside me.

"There you are, I didn't know where you went."
"I'm here."
"Whatcha doing?"
"Studying."
"Science?"
"Yup."
"Do you need help, I'm quite good with science."
"No, I got it, but thank you."
"Okay, do you do it for school?"
"Kind of, I don't go to school anymore. I just try to learn as much as I can so I don't fall behind. I like to learn."
"That's good. Do you want to go to school?"
"Eh, I like teaching myself and I don't handle large crowds very well. If you want me to go I will."
"Well, I want you to have an education, but if going to a public school is too much for you we can do something else."
"Okay."
"Oo I got it, we can homeschool you!" She says happily
"Really, you'd do that?" I ask in disbelief
"Yeah! The guys will do it I'm sure. I can help with English, all of us with science, Kevin and Avi with math, and I'm pretty sure Scott and Mitch like history."
"Are you sure? I don't want to be a bother to you." I protest
"Don't be silly, we'd love to help."
"Okay."

She smiles triumphantly and starts working on the papers in front of her. I put my text books away and keep reading Me Before You. She watches me intently while doing her work.

"Why did you come in here to do your work?" She ask
"Because it's easier to write on a table."
"You could have used my desk, I wouldn't have mind."
"I didn't want to mess anything up or invade your privacy, so I just came here." I explain
"Oh, okay."

She goes back to her papers and I go to my book. After somewhere around half an hour Avi and Kevin come in. Both of them are talking and laughing. They take off their coats and hang them on the hooks on the wall. They still have their stethoscopes around their necks but I decide to say nothing. I move my bag from the chair so Avi can sit down. I check my phone and see that it's already twelve.

"What are we doing for lunch?" Kevin ask
"Arby's?" Avi suggest
"We ate Arby's last week." Kristin protest
"What do you want princess?" Avi ask
I shrug "It doesn't matter to me. You guys choose." I say
"Where's Mitch and Scott?" Kevin ask
"I think they had a patient, but they shouldn't be much longer." Avi answers, Kevin nods, I cringe on the inside.

"We could get Wendy's?" Kirstin suggest
"I'm not feeling chicken nuggety today." Avi says
"Chicken nuggety?" I ask jokingly which causes us to laugh

Scott and Mitch walk in. Both look happy, Scott still looks tired but not as much. I retreat back into my seat a bit further and try to focus on my book.

"What are we talking about?" Scott ask
"Food." Avi says
"Oo my favorite thing to talk about." He says, he sits in the chair next to me and I silently curse myself for not sitting next to Kirstin. Now I'm stuck between Avi and Scott.

"What are we getting?" Mitch ask
"Don't know yet, we haven't decided." Kirstin says
"What do you want?" Scott ask me
"I don't care. You choose."
"We haven't eaten subway in a while, how about that?" He suggest, everyone thinks about it for a minute and Avi is the first to speak.
"Sure."
Mitch and Kevin are next "Okay."
Kristin turns to me "Are you okay with subway?"
"Yeah."
"Then subway it is. I'll call it in. What does everyone want?" She ask

She takes their orders which are really complicated so she has to write them down. I'm last and mine is the least complex.

"What do you want, Ana."
"The small one with turkey, cheese, and mayo, please."
"That's it? You're sure you don't want anything else?" She pushes
"That's all." I smirk
"Out of everything you can get, that's all you want?"
She says in disbelief
I nod "It's my favorite." I exclaim, it really is.

My mom used to make them for me, cut into two triangles with no crust because I didn't like it then. I would always give her half of one of the slices and we would eat them together.

"Okay then, see why can't you all be this simple?" She says and motions to them.
I giggle at her and go back to reading my book.

She goes to her office to call in the order and I go with her. I sit on the couch and look around her office while she makes the call. My eyes land on the multi color dry erase markers on the whiteboard. I get up and put them in the correct color order which makes my happy. I allow myself to let my gaze drift to her slightly organized but unorganized desk.

It bugs me and I want to fix it. None of the papers are straight and the clips she has holding them together are in the same pile. I don't realize I'm staring until she gets my attention.

"Ana." She hums
"Yeah, sorry I was thinking." I snap back into reality and blink my eyes.
"I said I have to go pick up the food, do you want to stay here?"
"Sure."
"Okay, why did you put the markers in order?" She ask, noticing the markers behind me.
"Oh, it just bothered me."
"It bothered you?"
"Not much, I just like for stuff to be in order."
"Oh, you did the same with your clothes. They were all sorted by color and size, biggest to smallest." She says
I nod
"My desk must be horrible then. I try to be somewhat organized. I really need to go through everything though, and put all my files together." She jokes
"It's not that bad, Avi's is worse." I express
"Yeah, at least I have my stuff color coded, I try to keep it with the correct dates too. His is just in whatever pile it's in."
"Why don't you go through your's?" I ask
"I haven't had the time." She sighs
"Do you want me to do it for you? I could do it while you're getting the food and be done by the time you get back." I say, I already have a plan in my head as to what to do first.
"That would be great, thanks." She says, she grabs her wallet and keys. She hugs me and I hug back.

"I'll be back in a little bit, the remote to the tv is on my desk somewhere if you get bored."
"Okay, bye."
"Bye."

She leaves and I start.