Thirty Nine- Appointment

Ana

I stand watching her go, silently screaming for her to come back. I fondle with my hands from my nervousness. I feel a pair of eyes on me and turn to her. She has a sweet smile watching me.

"Ready to start?"
"S-Sure." I say quietly
"It's okay. Don't be shy." She chuckles at me. I blush a bit and look away from her gaze.

I follow her into the room. Inside is set up like an office. I guess it is an office though. There is a desk and two giant bookshelves filled with different books. Her desk is neatly organized with pictures lining the front. She leads me over to a couch while she sits in the chair across from it.

"I have cookies, do you want any?" She ask.
My face brightens at the mention of the sweet treat. Who can blame me, I love cookies.
"Y-Yes, please." I say, she smiles at me and hands me two cookies on a napkin.
"T-Thank you."
"You're welcome."
"I like y-your glasses." I say
She reaches up and touches the corner of her glasses almost like she forgot she had them, with a smile.
"Thank you."

I nibble on the cookies while she comes to sit back down.
"So, your mother told me a little bit about you already, but before we get into that I want to get to know you first. Is that alright?" She ask
"I-I guess."
"Great." She says smiling bigger. She ask me basic questions in the beginning like; what is my whole name, how old am I, favorite colors, foods, animals. I was starting to relax a bit. She's nice and friendly.

"Are you Kirstin's biological daughter?"
"No."
"Oh okay. So you are adopted, correct?"
"Yes."
She gives an understanding nod and writes stuff down. "Did you live in an orphanage before?"
"No."
"No?" She says confusedly. Now it's my turn to nod.
"Where did you live?" She ask
I look down to my lap in shame. This was the part I don't like. She wants to know about my past but I don't like telling people. Now she gets to judge me just like everyone else.

"I was homeless." I mumble into my lap. She acts slightly shocked but covers it immediately.
"Why?" She ask
"I ran away from my father. He wasn't a very good father." I add. She reads my face like a book. Although I can't read hers, which is a first.

"Did he hurt you?" She presses
"Yes." My answer is short, sweet and to the point.
"Did he yell, hit you, touch you?" She edges me on
"He never touched me inappropriately, but he yelled and hit me a lot." I explain. Technically, I don't have to tell her about the dentist stuff yet because she didn't ask.
"What about your mother?"
"She died when I was six almost seven."
"Do you remember her?"
A small smile spreads across my face as the memories of my mother run through my mind. "Yes, we were very close. She died of cancer." I answer

"I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard loosing people, especially at such a young age."
I'm quiet while she speaks. I think she senses the uneasiness of the topic and chooses to move on.

"Are you close with Kirstin?" She ask changing the topic to something happier
"Yeah."
"Do you like living with her?"
"Yes. I feel like I actually have a family again. I love it with them."
"Them?" She questions
"Well, she is in a famous group that sings called Pentatonix and we all live beside each other. There's Avi, Kevin, Scott, and Mitch. They come over a lot. We are all really close."
"Thats good. Oh I forgot to ask, where do you live?"
"In a neighborhood that's a few minutes away called Forest Drive."

Her face comes to a good shock and she smiles. "Really? That's where I live too." She states happily
"You know the road where you turn off and it leads to those five houses?" I ask
"Yes, they all had different colored doors, right?"
"Yeah, that's us. I live with Kirstin in the one with the turquoise door."
"I always loved that color. I thought it looked so cute on that house."
"I like the park. I can read while sitting on the swings."
"My son likes the park too. Now, how did you come to meet them?" She ask curiously