Forty Seven- Happy

Adam

I walk back home and head straight to my room. I lay on my bed to give my legs a break. I scroll through my Instagram to pass the time. Ana fills my mind like always. Ever since I first saw her I haven't been able to stop thinking about her.

She beautiful, more than other girls our age. Smart, funny, sweet, polite, shy, adorable, and much more. I like how she isn't like other people. It's easy to make her laugh and it's fun to watch her get excited about little things. I love to watch her laugh. I would give anything to hear her giggle just once. She's special to me.

I notice movement out of the corner of my eye, and look up to see mom in my doorway. I set my phone down and sit up. She sits on the edge of my bed. This must be big because she never does this unless it's something big. I've always been close with my family. We tell each other everything and I know I can trust them with anything. They will always be there for me and I'm always there for them. I wouldn't have been able to accomplish a lot of things without them. Including, learning to speak.

"We need to talk about Ana." She signs to me.
"Okay?" I say
"She's not like you and your other friends." She looks worried sort of. "Ana has been to hell and back more than once. I don't know what she has told you or if she had told you anything."
"Nothing." I say, she nods a little to show she understands.
"Of course you know she is shy, but it goes farther than that. She is used to living life in fear, thinking everyone is going to hurt her, because of what people have done to her in the past."
"What happened to her?" I ask
"You know I can't tell you that. She has to tell you." She signs sadly.
"Oh yeah." I say with disappointment laced in my voice
"If you plan on taking things further than a friendship then I fully support that, but you have to be careful. She isn't like other girls." She signs
"I know, mom." I say
"Look, if you do then you need to understand this. Ana will do anything to keep other people happy. Anything." She pauses and rubs her hands on her thighs, looking around my room.
"She's used to having to keep people happy because it's how she's been raised. In her mind, she associates people being upset with her with bad things, so she does everything to keep us happy." She signs to me. I read her words as fast as she can sign them.
"Now, I know you wouldn't take advantage of her because one, you're too young, two, I said no, and three, Ana isn't ready for that." She signs with a stern look.
"No, mom, I wouldn't do that." I defend
She holds up her hands to stop me.
"I know, but like I said, Ana will do anything to keep other people happy. Even if it means she gets hurt in the process." She sighs "There is a good chance, Ana, is going to try to do stuff to make you happy, if she thinks you want it. Adam, you can't let her do that. If you do anything, that means kissing, holding hands, and cuddling, nothing more, you have to be one hundred percent certain that she truly wants it."
"I won't." I assure her
"Adam, this girl isn't even my child, but I care about her, and so help me God, if I ever find out you forced her into anything and I mean anything, then you will not live to see thirty. I'm talk about even making her tell you something she wasn't ready to tell you." She threatens
"Mom, you know I wouldn't do that. I've already told her that she doesn't have to tell me if she isn't ready too." I explain, she smiles at me.
"Good. I know you wouldn't, and I know something else too." She says leaving me open with questions
"What?" I ask, I know she wants me too.
"I know you make her happy." She says smiling. This makes me smile and images of her laughing run through my mind.

She pats my foot and stands with a smile. "Come on, dinner should be ready soon." She signs
I immediately get up. I'm starving. I race down the stairs and take my place at the table. Mom sits across from me and dad sits at the head of the table. We eat dinner and mom and dad talk about their plans like usual. They sign everything for me and so they don't have to talk with their mouths full. Dinner taste great. Mom gives us more cookies for dessert. Afterwards, we all clean up, then they watch a movie while I go upstairs to my room.