Nineteen- Lunch

Ana

I organize all her files by dates and then put them in alphabetical order. I set each file with its correct color on her desk. It doesn't take me long, around 10 minutes. I set her pencils in the tray along with her other utensils. I'm finally able to see the beautiful mahogany wood the desk is made of. I wipe the dust off of her computer and sit in the spinning desk chair.

I giggle a bit when it spins me around. I use my feet to spin me around the other way. I start going faster and my vision blurs together. I grip the arm rails tightly so I don't fly out and I let out a small squeal.

I hear someone laughing and put my feet down to stop myself. Kirstin is standing in the doorway laughing her butt off at me.

"Having fun?" She jokes
"A lot." I say back
"You already finished?" She says admiring her desk
"Yeah, it wasn't hard. It didn't take me long." I say, I straighten a stack of papers and lean back in the chair.
"It looks amazing, thank you."
"You're welcome, I did it by color of the clips, then the dates and the names are in alphabetical order."
"That's great, now I'm going to actually be able to find stuff now." She says laughingly
I giggle at her and my stomach growls.
"Lunch is in the break room, come on." She says, she holds her hand out to me and helps me up. We walk side by side to the break room were the guys are talking at the table. We wash our hand quickly and go to the table.

I sit beside Avi and Kirstin goes to the fridge. She pulls out two waters. She hands one to me and sits in the chair across from me. We all dig into our sandwiches. I'm quiet while they all talk. Everyone's sub but mine is piled with stuff like chicken and lettuce and tomatoes. I never did like tomatoes, the consistency is gross to me. I'm only able to get down half of my sub before starting to feel full. I wrap up the rest and slouch in my chair.

"Is that all you're going to eat?" Avi ask
"I'm full, I can eat the rest later." I exclaim,
"Here, I can put it in the fridge for you." Scott says, he holds his hand out to me and I give him my sandwich. He sets it in the fridge and throws away his trash. Kirstin and everyone else get up and do the same.
"Oh wait, I got you a cookie. It's in the bag." Kirstin says happily. She hands me the bag and I can feel the weight of something in it.

I slip the weight out to see a chocolate cookie in a little baggie. I smile at it and tear a piece off.

Scott gasp sarcastically and brings his hand to his chest in 'shock'. "How come she gets a cookie but I don't?"
Kirstin just laughs "Because she organized my desk for me, and you didn't." She says and pokes his chest.
"I still want a cookie." He pouts, and keeps cleaning off the bar. He had knocked over his drink when he threw away his trash.

"Okay, we gotta get back to work. Bye princess." Avi says and boops my nose lightly. Kevin does the same and they leave.
"I have to go too, bye. I'll be back in a little and then we can go home." Kirstin says, she gives me a quick pat on the head and goes out the door.

"I have a crap ton of paperwork I have to do, bye Ana. I'll see you later." Mitch says, and leaves.

Scott is still trying to clean up his mess. He almost has it cleaned and is now getting more paper towels and throwing away the wet ones. I decide to give him the rest of my cookie since I don't want the rest and he did. Silently I stand up and go behind him. He doesn't notice me, so I tug lightly on his sleeve. He turns around and I hold out the rest of the cookie to him with a shaky hand.

"What, oh no princess, you eat it." He protest, I shake my head no and thrust my arm to him. He chuckles slightly and takes it from me. He tears it in half and give the other half back to me.

"Thanks princess." He says, we both eat the cookie in silence, I go back to the table and keep reading my book. My heart is pounding against my chest and my hands turn clammy. I set my book on the table and fiddle with my fingers to occupy my hands. Scott checks his watch and sits down in front of me.

"Relax princess, I just want to talk." He say when I fidget more in my chair.
I nod and try to focus on the words in my book.
"Why are you so nervous around me and Mitch?" He ask and stares at me intently. I don't say anything and look down to my book. He reaches across the table and slides the book away from me and closes it.
I look at him angrily and huff "You lost my page." I say and reach for my book. He slides it farther away from me so I can't reach it and holds it protectively.

"296. Now tell me." He says
"D-Don't you have to work?" I ask and curse my stutter.
"Not for another hour, but I can cancel my last appointment and stay here all day if I have to. I'm not leaving until I get an answer." He sighs and slouches in his chair to prove a point. I stay silent and hold my ground.
"Mitch wants to know too. He said you would barely take three steps into our office this morning, and you've barely said anything to us today." He exclaims sadly.

The door opens and Kirstin walks in. "Hey, what are you two doing?" She ask. She grabs a water out of the fridge and takes a drink of it.
"Just talking." Scott says, I give her a smile to sell his story. I don't want her to think I'm scared.
"Okay, I have to get back, bye." She says and goes to the door behind me. Out of the corner of my eyes I see her sign to Scott.

"Don't you dare make her upset or so help me, I will never make you anymore muffins." She signs with a stern look. His face goes a shade paler and I smirk. She goes away and it's just me and him again. He pulls out his phone and text someone. A little while later Mitch comes in. He sits beside Scott and they just look at me, which makes me even more nervous.

"So are you going to tell us?" Scott pushes, I just sit there.
"Scott, I don't think this is a good idea. If she doesn't want to tell us then we shouldn't push her." Mitch says, even though I agree with him, I say nothing.

"No Mitch, I have to know. It's killing me, I need to know." He fights "Ana please, I hate knowing that you're scared of us. We won't hurt you, ever."
"He's right Ana, we have no intention of hurting you, princess."

I hate making them mad even more than I hate explaining my deepest secrets to them. I don't want to tell them but I also don't want them mad at me. I look down to my lap and prepare myself to tell them.