| 09 |

"Psst." A voice whispered, capturing our attention. We looked outside for the source, but no one was around the white woods. The only sign of life was a small sparrow. We looked at each other in confusion. "Did that bird just 'psst'. us?" Said a flabbergasted Susan. We cautiously wondered out of the house, waiting to see if anyone would appear. All of a sudden a rustle could be heard from the bush next to us. I jumped at the noise, as did Lucy. Peter pushed us all behind him.

"It's a beaver!" Lucy gasped, surprised. Peter held out his hand to the beaver and started walking towards him. I suppressed the urge to giggle as the beaver stared at Peter's hand weirdly.

"I ain't gonna smell it if that's what you want!" The Beaver said.

My eyes widened. He...He talked. I looked at the Pevensies and saw my facial expressions reflected. Peter quickly withdrew his hand, embarrassed. "Uh...Sorry." He murmured. Edmund looked at me, a smirk on his face. I glared at him and he looked taken aback, but I wasn't phased - he deserved it.

"Blimey! Is that you, Alexandra?" The Beaver said pointing to me. How does he know me? My mind was whizzing. I think I came up with some witty comeback like "Huh?" How did a TALKING beaver know my name? "How do you know Alex Mr Beaver?" Lucy asked. "Well who doesn't? Anyway, best not to talk about it here, we don't wan to be heard." He replied, brushing off the topic. I was confused, what had just happened.

"Lucy Pevensie?" The beaver said next. She too looked taken aback, how did they know her name? "Yes" She replied meekly. The beaver stopped and took out a white handkerchief. She gasped. "But that's the handkerchief I gave to Mr..." Lucy started to say before the beaver interrupted her.

"Tumnus" He finished "He gave it to me just before he was taken." He looked at her grimly, before looking out to the woods again. "Is he alright?" She whispered, an obvious fear in her voice. "Further in." He said racing off into the woods. Ignoring Lucy's question.

Peter and Lucy followed him, followed by me and then hesitantly Susan and Edmund. I wanted answers as for why he knew my name, considering the fact I had never stepped foot in this Narnia before. Or had I? I though back to the weird dreams of my childhood, lions roaring, snow. I thought back to the images I had thought of earlier in the day. Edmund, snow and again a lion. What was the meaning to all of this?

"Alex, what do you think?" Susan asked and I was snapped back to reality. "What?" I answered intelligently. Edmund rolled his eyes " We were talking about whether we could trust the beaver." He said in a monotone. "Oh! Well personally, i'm going to follow him. He knew who I was, maybe he has a clue to my parents." I said just as the beaver showed up next to us.

"Everything alright?" He questioned suspiciously. "Yes we were just talking." I assured him, but that didn't take the look from his face. "Save that for safer corners." He muttered before hopping along ahead. "He means the trees." Lucy said blatantly. "What?" Peter and I said in unison. We were all clearly confused by Lucy's statement. Sure the trees here were nice, but why would they be 'unsafe'? "The trees are alive in Narnia, but not all of them are good. Some of them report back to the White Witch." Lucy said as though it were obvious.

"The white witch?" Susan questioned. "She calls her self the queen of Narnia but she isn't really. She is the one who took Mr Tumnus, remember?" Lucy tried to explain. But in a way it only made my confusion worse. White witch was evil, Trees can listen and beavers can talk (this one happens to know me).

What a strange world.