Discreet

The rest of the dinner went swimmingly. The two talked and laughed as if they had had never been childhood enemies. Draco wondered how he had never noticed that her swottiness was actually rather adorable, her laugh was warm and filled him with ease, and her eyes were the most unusual color...like Firewhiskey rippling in a glass. The two had more in common than he ever would have realized. And their disagreements, rather than carrying the flavor of animosity as they did in their youth, sparked friendly and challenging debates. The conversation didn't even take an awkward term when their respective love lives came up.

"You're a brilliant woman, Granger and you've done many brilliant things, but the absolute smartest thing you ever did was break up with the Weasel."

Hermione scoffed. "Ron's not so bad. He and I are still very close. I'm Rose's godmother you know."

Draco rolled his eyes. "That child's name has come up in my home more times than I ever imagined possible. Scorpius has always had something of a...fascination with her. I suppose it's my punishment in life for all the arseholish things I've ever said or done that my only child would become so intertwined with the Golden Trio."

Hermione laughed. "I never realized that."

"Yeah, I mean he and Potter's son have been inseparable since their first day on the Hogwarts Express. He's got that...strange crush-like thing on the Weasel's daughter. And then you come along and...well. You know the rest." He smirked handsomely into his wine glass.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Point taken. Because of your son you will never escape the Golden Trio."

Draco's eyes glinted. "I can't really say that I mind that right now. At least not the third sitting across from me." He shot her a charming grin, causing her to blush prettily.

"He really seems to adore you."

"We are very close. A side effect of single parenthood."

God. Damn. As if my knickers can handle being reminded of that. "Well you did an excellent job with him," Hermione said.

Draco smiled. "I never tire of hearing that. He's the most important thing in my life."

Hermione bit back a groan. Could he be more doable? "I'm sure the whole 'single-dad thing' doesn't exactly hurt you with the ladies."

Draco chuckled. "Believe it or not, I haven't been on a date in years."

Hermione blushed. "Neither have I."

Draco looked surprised. "How on earth did that happen? I mean I don't know if you're aware of this, but you're Hermione Granger." She chuckled. "You're a war heroine. You're the Brightest Witch of Her Age. All things that add up to one thing. A catch." He smirked charmingly.

Hermione bit her lip bashfully. Oh fuck me don't do that. Don't bite your lip.

"Surely it won't surprise you to learn that I've always been a bit of a workaholic."

Draco raised his eyebrows. "Really? You were always such a little party animal in school."

Hermione laughed. "I left the Auror Department because...I don't know. I guess I wanted more balance in my life. Even if it just meant taking some time for myself."

"Do you prefer teaching to 'fighting the bad guys'?"

Hermione nodded. "I think I do."

A rather harassed-looking waiter approached their table. "I don't mean to intrude, but we closed half an hour ago."