A Date by the Lake

Scorpius made his way to the dungeons, thinking about his father's strange behavior. He had said that he and Professor Granger weren't shagging. But Scorpius knew that didn't mean that his father wasn't interested. He'd never seen him behave like that around any other woman. And it gave Scorpius pause.

"Do you like her?"

"Would it bother you if I did?"

Scorpius hadn't been able to tell him the truth. Why? Thinking back, he had a suspicion of how the conversation could have gone.

"Would it bother you if I did?"

"Yes."

Draco sighed. His face fell slightly though he tried to hide it from his son. "Alright then. I guess I don't like her."

His father did like Professor Granger. That was blatantly obvious. But he knew that if his father thought it truly bothered Scorpius, he might not make a move on her. Not because Scorpius had any sort of claim on her. He knew now that was foolish. She was old enough to be his mother and she was his teacher taboot. While knowledge of these facts didn't quite quell the butterflies that would flutter in his stomach when he walked into her classroom, he knew those were just the stubborn leftovers that would eventually disappear. Soon, he'd begin to notice girls his own age, just like his father told him. So why did it bother him? Was it because she was his teacher? Or perhaps there were more selfish motives?

Scorpius wasn't naive. He knew his mother died before she and his father had any real time together. He wasn't so childish that he was bothered by the idea that another woman could come in and replace his mother. But he was a little apprehensive that his father would suddenly have someone besides him to love. Maybe it wasn't his father he was jealous of at all.

But that wasn't really fair, was it? Thinking back he was certain his father had been lonely at times. Scorpius didn't want that for him. If anyone deserved to be happy, it was his father. But all the same...

Did it have to be her? Professor Granger wasn't just some woman. She was divine perfection. His father would surely fall desperately in love with her and before he knew it, it wouldn't just be the two of them anymore. It had always been that way...he and his dad taking on the world. If Professor Granger came into the mix, would he eventually have to call her mum?

Don't be ridiculous Scorpius. That would reach new heights of bizarre.

In his reverie, he nearly ran into a red headed figure clad in crimson robes. Luckily, the figure had hella reflexes and caught him before he made impact.

"S-Sorry." He wasn't sure why he always felt so odd around Rose Weasley. She was hands-down the most obnoxious person he'd ever met. But there was something about those cobalt eyes that he found rather soothing. That is if you could get past her despicable personality.

"No problem." She drew herself up haughtily. She was still dressed in her Quidditch robes and she had a smear of dirt on her face.

Scorpius smirked at that. She'd have an absolute cow if she knew how disheveled she looked right now.

"Something funny, Malfoy?"

He sneered. "Not at all. I'm just not certain I've ever seen such an unflattering combination of colors on a single person in my life." He might have inherited his father's snooty-Malfoy voice when the occasion called for it. And when Rose Weasley was involved, it was almost always called for. "I mean really Weasley. I understand you drew the genetic short stick with that bumpkin red hair and freckles combo of yours. But you could have at least had the decency to ask the Sorting Hat to put you in Slytherin so you would be forced to wear a color that half-way made you somewhat easier to look at." He wasn't sure why he said that. If he was being honest, he rather thought she was alright to look at the way she was.