Draco Tries New Things

"So you finally lived up to your namesake?" Madam Pomfrey glared daggers at Scorpius as he presented his bruised knuckles for inspection. "Fighting was it?"

"A wall," he answered glumly. He wasn't about to admit that he hit one of the most popular guys in school in the face, regardless of how much he deserved it.

"Hmph. Interesting. It just so happens that a "wall" came in here earlier today with a swollen jaw."

Scorpius blushed.

Madam Pomfrey smirked. "I am not officially saying this because as the school nurse I am impartial to school children's drama, but I've noticed the way Mr. Potter bullies the people in your house."

Scorpius said nothing.

"You know I'm required to report any injuries which are the result of an altercation."

Scorpius nodded.

"So of course, you'll understand when I tell you to refrain from hitting walls in the future." She winked.

Scorpius smiled. "Thank you Madam Pomfrey."

As he left the Infirmary, he turned a corner and nearly ran into a small-ish figure.

"Scorpius!"

"Rose!" He felt like his stomach was sweating. He left rather abruptly the previous evening and they hadn't had the chance to speak since. What if she was angry with him?

Wait. Did she just say...?

He smirked. "You called me 'Scorpius.'"

She drew herself up haughtily. "So? You called me 'Rose.'"

"It's your name."

"Yes, well...Scorpius is your name." She brushed off invisible dust from her skirt.

He stared at his shoes. "I hope no one gave you a hard time. For inviting us."

She grinned. "Technically I only invited you."

He blushed. "I...um...I had a nice time. Before James...well, you know."

She smiled. "I did too. And don't worry. I spoke to pretty much everyone who was there about what James said to you. They all agree it was rather uncouth of him."

Scorpius grinned. "You did that?"

She nodded, blushing. "He...he really shouldn't have drank that much. I'm sure he wouldn't have said such awful things otherwise."

Scorpius chuckled. "Do you always believe the best in people?"

She smiled, biting her lip and motioning towards his hand. "Are you alright?"

"This?" he held up his hand. "It was nothing. I've just...never thrown a punch before. I didn't expect that it would hurt."

She nodded. "Well I'm glad you're alright."

He raised an eyebrow in inquiry. "Did you...come here to check on me?"

She blushed. "I just felt badly. I was the one who invited you and you never would have gotten hurt if not for me and—"

"Rose."

"Yeah?"

He smiled. "Thank you."

She blushed sweetly. "You're welcome. Um...do you want to get together later and study for the Arithmancy mid-term?"

He nodded. "I'd really like that."

"Good. See you later, then."

As she disappeared down the corridor Scorpius grinned stupidly. Scorpius Malfoy, you magnificent bastard.