Many Meetings

Scorpius could tell by the look on her face the day of the fight that Professor Granger was just as upset as he was that his dad didn't tell him about their relationship. He felt bad for her. It wasn't her fault.

He hoped they hadn't broken up over it. As displeased as he still was at him, he wanted his dad to be happy. He thought about it all during DADA, searching Professor Granger's face for signs of broken- heartedness. She looked a bit tired, and she wasn't speaking with her usual easy charisma. She seemed a little sad too.

After class Scorpius made his way over to Professor Granger's desk. There was a glimmer of something hesitant in her eyes as she smiled warmly at him.

"Mr. Malfoy. Do you need something?"

"Um..." he swallowed loudly. "I just wanted to let you know that...I wasn't angry with my dad for dating you. I was just angry he didn't tell me."

She smiled sadly. "So was I."

Scorpius nodded. "You didn't break up with him for it did you?"

She widened her eyes and shook her head. "No. We're just...taking a bit of space."

"Yeah." He bit his lip, carefully considering how he would craft his next question. It could come across tactless if he didn't do it right. "May I ask you something personal, Professor Granger?"

She chuckled warmly. "Given the circumstances I don't see why not."

"Do you love my father?"

She tried and failed to mask the surprise on her face. "Well...we haven't said it."

"But...do you?" He noticed the hesitation in her eyes as she bit her lip and he realized what an enormous ask he was making of her. "I'm sorry, I know it's probably rude to ask, especially since you haven't said it to him yet. But I just...I think you should know that I don't think my dad would have gone through so much trouble to keep this from me if he wasn't really keen on you—that is, if he thought it would bother me, but he wanted to date you anyway. And I've...I don't really remember my mother..." his voice trailed. "So I've never seen him like this before. So I guess what I'm asking is...do I need to be worried about him? Because if you don't love him then you might break his heart and...I just don't want to see that happen."

Hermione's eyes burned with the early stages of tears she fought to keep down. This was one hell of an endorsement. "Mr. Malf—that is... Scorpius. Is it alright if I call you that?"

He nodded. "Given the circumstances I don't see why not."

She chuckled. "Scorpius, I'm still working out how I feel about your dad. Just like he's working out how he feels about me. But I promise you that the last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt him. He..." she swallowed. "He means a great deal to me. Does that answer your question?"

Scorpius nodded. "I think it does. Thank you." He turned to leave the classroom, but stopped himself just before he got to the door. "And Professor Granger?"

"Yes, Scorpius?"

"Don't be too hard on my dad. I mean I know I'm one to talk because I'm not exactly thrilled with him myself right now, but...just...maybe hear him out."

She smiled. "I'll take that into consideration."

______________________

After hers and Scorpius's conversation, Hermione felt the need to get out of the castle for some fresh air. So she did what many emotional adults do when they need to clear their head—she self-medicated with alcohol to cloud it up even more. Hermione sighed as she sipped her butterbeer.