Chapter 6 - Flying Lessons

Ivy ran into the Great Hall with a large grin on her face. She looked extremely happy as she ran to the Gryffindor Table. James frowned deeply when he saw her.

"Are you okay?" James asked immediately and raised an eyebrow at her.

"Couldn't be better! Guess what?" Ivy said energetically.

"What?"

"We have flying lessons tomorrow!!"

James' eyes lit up but then he saw the colour of her tie. He sighed disappointingly. "Good for you. While you're there, do me a favour and annoy Snivellus."

He started eating once again, ignoring Ivy's presence. Ivy rolled her eyes and flicked his head.

"Ow! What was that for-"

"Why don't you annoy Snape yourself? Because we have broom lessons with Gryffindor."
James' hurt expression turned into an excited one as he grinned widely.

"Really?!"

"Yep! You're going down."

"You're on!"

Both the Potters enjoyed flying on broomsticks. The two often played the wizarding sport, Quidditch in their backyard. Since there was only two of them, they took turns as Chasers and Keepers. If one of them was having a bad day, either Potter twin would try to be a Beater then proceed to try to knock the other twin off their broomstick, which is exactly what happened when they were seven. That did not end well, but Ivy was very proud of what happened.

"What are you two competing in now?" Sirius asked, his voice filled with amusement.

"I'm really good on a broom," James told him.

"I'm really good on a broom." Ivy retorted. "We both play Quidditch at home. We're both really good at flying. Just I'm better."

"That's what she thinks." James rolled his eyes, causing Ivy to raise an eyebrow.

"That's what I know."

"A broom? So you actually do fly on brooms?" Remus asked them. They all looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"Of course we fly on brooms," Peter said, biting into his toast. "What else do we use brooms for?"

"Well, my mum uses brooms for sweeping-"

James and Ivy both gasped dramatically, clearly horrified at the very thought. "Sweeping?!" They yelled in unison. "That's horrible!!"

Remus laughed and smiled slightly. "At least the house is clean-"

"Cleaning?!" Ivy asked.

"Those poor brooms!" James exclaimed.

~~~~~~~

The first-years from both Slytherin and Gryffindor made their way to the Pitch, all excited to get started. Ivy waited, lightly bouncing on her feet with excitement. She saw James, Sirius, Remus and Peter and waved at them. The boys waved back and walked over to her.

Lined up in two lines were the school's wooden broomsticks, some looked more broken down than others. The students in both houses chose a broomstick and stood beside it as Madame Hooch, who Ivy presumed was the teacher, marched over to them. The teacher wore referee like robes, had grey hair and piercing yellow eyes.

"Good afternoon class." Madame Hooch greeted as she walked in between the two lines of students.

"Good afternoon Madame Hooch." The class rang in perfect unison.

"Welcome to your first flying lesson. I see you have all picked a broom if you haven't you should choose one now. Now hold your right hand in front of your broom and yell 'up!' "

The students held their hands up and started yelling, "Up!" Ivy and James' broom shot to their hands. They both caught it tightly. They glanced at each other as if trying to figure out who caught it first. For a few other people, the same thing happened, but for others, their broom started to move along the ground and did not levitate.

"I got mine first," James said to Ivy.

She scoffed. "Did not." She glanced at everyone else.  Sirius and Peter managed to get their's after a few more tries, along with a few other people from both houses. Remus' broom, however, did not listen to him and kept itself on the ground. 

"Up!" Remus yelled again, the broom did nothing. Ivy leaned over to him.

"I don't think that broom likes you..." She whispered to him. Remus laughed slightly then bent down to pick his broom, eventually giving up.

Once everyone got a hold of their brooms, Madame Hooch addressed the class. "Now once you've got a hold of the broom, mount it. Grip it tight, you don't want to be sliding off the end." The students mounted their brooms. "When I get to one, you will push off the ground, hover for a minute then come back down. In three, two, one."

Ivy pushed hard and her broom flew high into the air, alongside James and a few others who flew slightly below the two twins. Madame Hooch mounted on her own broom and helped those who needed it.

"Hey, Evans! How are you over there?!" James asked loudly. Lily, who held onto her broomstick tightly in fear of falling off, looked at him and rolled her eyes.

"I'm fine, Potter." She replied, an annoyed look on her face.

"Are you sure?" Ivy started. "Because with someone like Snivellus around you would probably ruin your day." Some of the Gryffindors laughed. Lily glared at Ivy.

"Don't call him that!"

"Would you prefer Greasy Head or something?" Sirius questioned, causing the Gryffindors to laugh louder. Lily fumed angrily and turned away from them. 

"Now," Madam Hooch addressed the class again. "Everyone come back down, nice and easy." Everyone flew to the ground gently. "Since most of you know how to ride the broom, we will have a race-"

Ivy and James both looked up eagerly, now actually paying attention.

"The first person to reach  the other side wins and gets five points for their house." The children chatted excitedly, all eager to get started. "Is there anyone who doesn't want to participate?"

"Yeah." Everyone turned around to Remus, who turned pink with embarrassment from the sudden attention.

Madam Hooch sighed but nodded in agreement. "I quite agree Mr Lupin. You use a broom like a carrot would." Remus chuckled nervously then sighed. "Anyone else want to sit out as well?"

As more students went to the side (though most were rather reluctant) to join Remus, the rest of the students mounted their brooms and kicked off into the air, before lining up in at the start.

"On my whistle, you will fly as fast as you can to the other, but make sure you are all careful."

"Ready to lose?" James whispered to Ivy, grinning from ear to ear.

"Sure," Ivy looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "Don't come back to me whining when you do." James chuckled and turned to the front. And as Madam Hooch blew the whistle, the two twins flew forward as fast they could, determined to beat the other students and each other.

A/N Oh my gods I'm alive.

 Okay, so I haven't been writing lately because life happened and because of this I found it hard to find motivation to work on any of my stories on Wattpad and this is the first I have updated in like three months and I am so happy *sigh of relief*. Anyway, so I will try and update my other books and other fanfics I am planning on starting when I have the time so yeah... So hopefully I will update more often now and I really am sorry that I haven't been updating even though I kind of just realised that it doesn't sound like I'm sorry but really I am.

~Ivy