Chapter 15 - Awkward Lunch

The days went on just like they did before Hogwarts, James and Ivy would run around the house, going outside to play Quidditch for practice ("because you need it!" James had said before Ivy grabbed the Beaters Bat and hit one of the Bludgers towards him). They spent the late afternoon writing letters to the Marauders and in Ivy's case, Regulus as well. The next morning, they would receive replies from Remus and Peter then the day would repeat. They never got letters back from Sirius or Regulus and they had just assumed they were busy, until one morning.

Ivy sorted out the letters one by one. Most of them were addressed to both of them, and they had the Daily Prophet, the wizarding newspaper which was for their parents. The letter was enclosed in a yellowish envelope, addressed to Ivy Potter in messy writing. Ivy frowned and turned it over. There was nothing at the back. She opened it and the writing was even more horrendous inside but she managed to make out what it said.

Dear Ivy, I'm sorry I haven't been replying to your letters. My family and I have been very busy on the holidays and-

"It's from Regulus!" Ivy exclaimed and turned to James. James frowned, he had just finished sorting out his letters.

"Really?" He questioned and looked over at the small letter. "Is there one from Sirius too?"

Ivy frowned and grabbed all the letters that James had finished rearranging. She didn't think of that. They hadn't received any letters from Sirius either, and he had promised that he would keep in touch. "Reg said that they had been busy."

"But if he was able to send a letter, wouldn't Sirius be able to too?" Ivy looked through all the letters, opening them one by one. There was two from Remus, one addressed to James and the other to Ivy, the same with Peter's letters. They all promised to keep in contact over the Christmas Holidays.

"I don't know..." She mumbled and before they could talk more about it, their mother walked from the kitchen and placed a plate down before them. She had made them toast with jam.

"We're not going to have much this morning," Euphemia said and sat down beside James who was eager to dig in. 

Ivy frowned and felt her stomach grumble. "Why not?" 

"We're going to lunch, across the road." She answered and Ivy sighed with disappointment. She was really hungry... "We have new neighbours and they have invited us over for lunch." James frowned and looked up. 

"Are we all going?" He asked, his mouth full of toast. 

"Yes we are, they have children who go to Hogwarts as well, maybe you know them." Euphemia said and Ivy huffed loudly. 

"I hope not," she mumbled. Most people she had met at Hogwarts were either in Slytherin or didn't like her, with the exception of the Marauders and Regulus. 

"Don't worry, it'll be fun." Euphemia said reassuringly and ruffled both her children's hair then walked upstairs. James and Ivy glanced at each other and shrugged, thinking the same thing. They would much rather stay at home then go to lunch with their neighbours. Ivy looked down at Regulus' letter.

"I hope Sirius is alright." She thought aloud and James nodded in agreement. 

"Can you ask Regulus if he's okay?" He asked and she nodded, finally starting to eat.

"I will," 

~~~~~~~~

They walked down. That's when Ivy realised that they were going to have a terrible time. They had to walk down. She didn't care if they were just across the road, there was something wrong with walking to their neighbours' house. They didn't apparate or travel by Portkey but walking just felt unnatural...