The Lone Wolf - Prologue

11th of June 1967.

The wind rustled in the trees as the full moon started to rise in the sky. A brother and sister of the same age continued playing, despite the darkness of the night that started to grow. The doors of the house opened and their mother walked outside.

"James! Ivy! It's time to come inside now!" The boy caught the ball and turned around to face his mother. 

"Five more minutes!" The girl, Ivy yelled. She was the furthest away from the house and the closest to the woods past the fence.  

"It's nearly dark now. You need to come inside."

"Five more minutes." The girl's twin, James insisted.

"No." The twins sighed then turned back to each other before starting to throw the ball at each other again. Their mother sighed and crossed her arms. "James. Ivy. Now."

James threw the red ball and it landed past the trees and into the woods behind his sister. Ivy turned around and quickly ran to the wooden fence. She moved a lose wooden plank and squeezed through the space, disappearing into the woods. 

"Ivy!"'

Ivy grabbed the ball then looked around. She had gone further inside than she had thought she did. She gripped the ball and looked around fearfully. "Hello?" Ivy called out and there was no answer. "Mum? Dad? Jamie?"

She had started to walk forward, trying to find her way out when a large howl filled the air. Ivy jumped and looked around again. She brought the ball closer to her chest and started to walk forward. Maybe if I continue walking I'll find my way out of here... Ivy thought and started shaking with fear and the coldness of the wind. And maybe I'll find that wolf... She added when she heard another loud howl.

The young girl continued walking, following the noise and trying not shiver from the cold. She continued to call out for her parents and her brother, but no one answered her. Ivy looked around as tears filled her eyes. She sat down against a tree and made a small whimpering noise. She realised what had happened. She was lost.

"M-Mum? D-Dad...? J-James?" Ivy pleaded to herself as a tear ran down her face. She looked at the ball in her hands and threw it at a nearby tree angrily. The ball was the reason she was here. Everything was the ball's fault.

Ivy brought her knees to her chest and buried her face in between her knees. She started sobbing, scared that she will never see her family again.

Then she heard the loud howl again, just now it was louder than before and full of sadness. Ivy looked up and saw a grey wolf, who stared at her with large, sad, gold eyes. Ivy's eyes widened and she stood up, staring back at the wolf. The wolf lowered its head and let out a sad whine, making Ivy feel sympathy. The wolf looked up again and let out a small growl. Ivy now backed away fearfully as the wolf slowly made its way to her.

"Ivy!! Ivy!" The wolf ran off in the other direction and Ivy turned around, seeing her father. "There you are!" Her father, Fleamont picked her up but Ivy pointed to where the wolf had run off.

"Daddy! The wolf! It's lost!" She told him and stared behind him. "He's sad... and alone." Fleamont looked to where she was pointing and sighed. He started walking back to their house and reassured his daughter.

"It's okay Ivy, the lone wolf will find his pack once again."