Save my life

Jesse was pondering how to talk to his depressed best friend, until an almighty splash snapped him out of his thoughts. Jesse knew this either had to be a burgular, or the more likely reason that Lukas had caused the noise. Running as fast as he could, Jesse tore back the curtain, flung open the backdoor and rushed outside just in time to see Lukas's limb body sink to the bottom of their pool.

Jesse quickly sprinted to the poolside, taking the deepest breath he could before diving into the water below. Now, Jesse was not a very good swimmer, nor could he see well underwater, but tried to latch onto something the best he could in the depths of the murky water. He was now regretting not cleaning out the pool when he'd had the chance. Finally, managing to grab what felt like an arm, Jesse pulled Lukas's body upwards as he kicked his legs up, bringing them both to the surface.

Shaking violently with both cold and fear, Jesse now climbed up the ladder, never letting go of Lukas's arm as he hauled his dead-weight up the ladder after him. Now Jesse was regretting not paying attention in all those first-aid classes where they teach you how to do CPR. However, he did know the basics, so he pressed an ear to Lukas's soaking wet chest. To his relief, Jesse could make out a faint heartbeat. But the heartbeat was slowing down, and fast.

Placing two hands on top of eachother, the brown-haired male uncertainly began pressing down on his best friend's chest. When no response to his actions came, Jesse decided this was probably where you mouth-to-mouth, but he froze. What if it ruins their friendship? No, Jesse thought. If I don't do it, it will ruin Lukas's life .

It was too late to call an ambulance now, so Jesse told himself to man up and do it before he kills Lukas with his indescisiveness.

With shaking hands, Jesse pulled open the lifeless other's mouth with one hand and pinched his nose with the other. He felt his cheeks color rapidly as he leans closer and closer to Lukas's mouth. Drawing in a deep breath, Jesse closed the gap between the two men and pushed all the air in his lungs into Lukas's mouth. He remembered from school that this had to be done for...4 seconds, was it? So he counted to four and pulled away.

After checking Lukas's heartbeat (which was getting stronger by the minute), Jesse began the chest compressions again, but this time his movements were more certain, definitive. After about three compressions, Lukas suddenly coughed up the water that had been stopping him from breathing. He still wasn't conscious, nor was he breathing properly, but this was a step in the right direction.

Jesse knew that it was time to do mouth-to-mouth again, but this time he wasn't scared. He knew it was merely a routine to keep his best friend since 6th grad alive, and if that was what was nescesary, he would do it. Opening Lukas's mouth again, he repeated what he did before. Jesse was certainly blushing madly, but more out of breathlessness than embarrassment. He pushed all the oxygen he could into Lukas's lungs, and just as he pulled away, Jesse heard a sharp breath followed by multiple coughing and gaging sounds.

"Lukas? Oh my god, Lukas! You're alive!" Jesse hugged a very pale looking Lukas as he gasps for air in his arms.

"What h-happen?" Was the quiet reply that came from the blond male. "All I remember is standing infront of the pool, because I wanted to end it...and then I stepped forward..." Lukas gasped softly as the memories came flooding back. He looked at a big rock by the poolside and continued speaking. "I must've tripped over that rock and hit my head..." he rubbed his bruise on the back of his head and winced. "And then I'm guessing you did CPR Oh god, I'm so sorry--"

This time Jesse cut him off. "Don't be. None of this is you're fault, so don't be." Jesse hugged him closer to his chest. "I'm just grateful that you're alive,"

And with that, he picked up Lukas bridal-style and carried him back to the house. He was just about to open the door, when Lukas spoke again.

"One more thing," he added.

"Go on,"

"Did you give me mouth-to-mouth?" Jesse blushed dark red at the memory, and nodded ever so slightly. This seemed to be a good enough answer for Lukas, who smirked before giving Jesse a quick peck on the lips, then falling asleep in Jesse's arms.