Circus

Jesse whimpered as he was forced onto the stage. He fell on his knees and looked up at the crowd with wide green eyes. He was up for auction. He was a freak, and that's what happened to people like him.

His mind travelled fast as he tried to blur out the amount he was getting auctioned off for. He could see the future, and that's why he was being auctioned off. He was hoping to be bought by someone kind, but that rarely happened.

"100 thousand to the man all in black!" Jesse's head shot up and found his eyes travelling to the man. Jesse was yanked up by his hair and shoved off stage to another man. That man grappled with him and tugged him to the cage he would be kept in until his new owner would come pick him up.

"Did you hear that boy? You're going to the circus. A perfect place for a freak like you." The man in purple chuckled at him through the bars. Jesse brought his knees to his chest and buried his face in them. Jesse's shoulders went taut and his eyes clouded with purple. The man in purple chuckled as he saw the purple, as it was like a light. Jesse's eyes lit up the cage as his head filled with the future.

As pictures filled his mind, he completely missed the man in black entering his cage and lifting Jesse's head from his knees. Jesse's face was slack, his eyes unblinking. He was unresponsive to everything around him. He couldn't feel when the man picked him up carefully and carried him to his cart. The man signaled for the driver to go as he held Jesse in his arms carefully.

Jesse sucked in a loud breath, as if coming up from air after being underwater for a long time. Jesse's eyelids fluttered and he collapsed forward, but was caught by the man. Jesse drew in ragged breaths and collected himself. He felt weak, but scrambled away from the man as soon as he realized that he wasn't in his cage anymore.

The man crawled towards him and put his hands up. He tried to calm Jesse's erratic breathing.

"I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm taking you to your new home, my circus. You're just what we needed. A fortune teller." Jesse's eyebrows furrowed.

"But I don't tell fortunes, I just see the future." The man smirked.

"You and I both know that's not true." Jesse shrunk back and reluctantly nodded. He could actually tell anyone's future. He just had to look at them and call upon his curse. It usually took a lot out of him and he didn't do it all that often.

"Look, I get you're scared, but I'm not gonna hurt you." The man held a hand out and Jesse inched back, hitting the side of the cart. "My name's Lukas Porter. I own the circus you're gonna be working at. I promise I'm not gonna hurt you, I'll look after you. I noticed you get a little weak after your vision thing, so I'm gonna watch after you as you do fortunes. I promise, I only want the best for you."

"I know you're thinking that a circus isn't the best place, but really, you'll be safe there. No one is gonna give you any trouble in my circus. No one can put you back up for auction unless you run away or are seen on the streets without your um," Lukas didn't want to say it.

"My collar. You don't have to be scared to say it. I get it. I have a collar that has to be kept on at all times." Lukas sighed and nodded.

"But, I'm working on a way to change them from collars to bracelets. That way, they aren't as big and bulky, and you can wear it without troubles." Jesse cracked a smile.

"Now, I was told your name is Jesse." Jesse nodded. "Well Jesse," Lukas waved his arm to the outside of the cart and Jesse's eyes lit up as he saw many members of the circus looking at him. Smiling, waving and welcoming him.

"Welcome to your new home."