Preparation

Waking up is no longer the pleasure it was. There is a fleeting moment when you are whole again, but it evaporates faster than summer rain off the burnt earth. Then your lids, that were drooping and leaden with sleep snap open as violently as if you had been woken by Thor and Loki arguing. The reality of waking up to another day of preparation for the wedding is harsh; especially when your dreams are better than reality. The saddest part of it is that eventually, even the memory of your dream will fade – if you are even lucky enough to remember it these days. Then you're left with this lonely feeling of detachment, left to explore in the empty void of emotions, the only proof that you ever had the dream to begin with.

Slowly and reluctantly, you uncover your face. You blink, close your eyes, and blink again. Streaks of the morning sun penetrate the window and blind you. You sit up, drag your feet off the bed and rub your eyes with the soft pads of your fingertips. You stretch your arms above your head and yawn.
"Good morning, Lady (Y/N). Helena and I have run you a soothing bath to prepare for today." Marion, your maid, chimes happily.
You groan with frustration. Today is the day when you are meeting Freyr's family. Everyone is buzzing with excitement. You have hardly spoken to your family. You're angry with Odin, so you have locked yourself in your room and refused to come out. You have been warned that if you do not behave today, then there will be severe consequences.
"My Lady, do you require any assistance? Marion has gone to collect your dress."
"I think that I shall be ok, but thank you. I shall call for you once I am ready." You smile.
Helena hesitates as she reaches the door.
"My Lady, do not fret about this wedding. I was married off at the age of sixteen, and Marion was married at fifteen. It is a mere tradition."
You look at her sadly. "Once I am crowned queen, I shall banish that tradition. A woman is strong enough to choose her own man."
Helena grins as she bows and leaves. You proceed to the bathroom and slip into the rose-scented bath. All you want to do is lie here and sleep, not meet Freyr's family. You slide down further into the water, letting it block out the sounds around you, and you spin the blue ring on your finger. That tiny ring is the one thing that binds everything. You hate it, sure it's pretty, but you hate it. You wish the tub would expand so you could go swimming like you used to on hot summer days in the woods with Loki and Thor. Those days were unique and filled with love, but that was a long time ago.

A knock smashes your happy thoughts, and you sit up; disturbing the now cold water.
"Lady (Y/N), it is time for you to get dressed." Helena says through the door.
"You may enter." You reply, waiting for the soft, fluffy robe.
The brunette enters with a quiet step and wraps the towel around your body. She erases the water droplets and soap suds from your body, before guiding you back into your room. Hung upon the mahogany closet is one of the most beautiful dresses you have ever seen. Somehow, that piece of dark blue material makes everything seem a little bit better. You step closer in awe. Admiring the tiny details of the tree, birds and the flowers.
"Queen Frigga choose it especially for you. It was her mothers, and now it belongs to you."
Tears prick at your eyes, but you manage to hold back the waterworks. Helena and Marion help you into the dress. Marion does your hair, while Helena does your makeup. She chooses a nude lipstick that makes your lips more defined. She then does your eye makeup. Her hand is strong and stable as she glides the brush and the different colours across your eyelid. Marion's fingers feel like heaven as she works wonders with your hair. Her skilful fingers braid your (H/C) hair into a fishtail braid that runs down your back. She then adds flowers that match the ones on the dress and finishes everything off by placing your tiara on your head. It's easy for Loki and Thor to get dressed. They just put their armour on and their helmets and boom; they're ready. But, they probably take longer on their hair than you do.

Both maids step back to admire their handiwork before letting you look in the mirror. You gasp with awe. Wow, you never knew that you could look like a real princess. You do a quick spin as you step into the gold heels. It's time to show Freyr's family who you really are.