1

I straightened my uniform as I walked down the hallway of my school, one arm linked with my best friend, Kirstie's. She was laughing about something Jeremy, her boyfriend, had texted her last night while she was telling me about it. I couldn't really make out what she was saying, but I laughed anyway, her laugh was so contagious.

"By the way, Kirst," I began when she had calmed down, stopping her in the hallway to run my fingers through her newly bleached and cut hair. It was a honey blonde color now and fell on her shoulders in soft waves. She looked like a little ray of sunshine. "The hair looks amazing. You look great, sweetheart."

She beamed, her smile even brighter now.

"Thank you, baby!" She pressed a kiss to my cheek, intertwining our fingers and pulling me towards our classroom. "I was so nervous, I've been wanting to get this hairstyle for a while now, but I was scared it'd look bad, but I'm so happy it worked out!"

"It surely did. What do we have now?"

"English literature. Didn't you check your schedule?"

I shrugged. "I did, but I forgot what it was."

She rolled her eyes playfully at me. "Oh, Mitch. Will you ever change?"

"Hey!" I defended myself, laughing. "I'm perfect the way I am, bitch!"

"Sure you are, queen," she answered, dragging me into the classroom. We sat down on our seats at the front, taking out our books and waiting for our teacher to come. We were currently reading Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, and let me tell you it was the most boring thing I'd ever read. The language was pretty outdated, and I didn't understand a word. But I tried, because I knew education was important and I definitely didn't want my parents' well-invested money to go to waste.

"Good morning, class!" Mrs. Watts said, way too motivated, as usual. "Today we're going to analyze act 4, scene 2 so take out your notes from last class and start writing."

I skimmed the chapter and took a minute to think about it before I started writing my essay.

Half an hour in I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. Kirstie hissed, making me turn around to look at her. She gestured to my pocket and I knew immediately she had sent me a message.

"Kirst!" I whisper shouted, making the teacher look at us with a disapproving frown. I lowered my voice. "Don't text me in class!"

She shrugged, continuing to write her analysis. After contemplating for a moment I decided to risk a peek.

Kirst: Are you going to Dylan's party on Friday?? He asked about you ;)

I rolled my eyes. Of course this couldn't have waited.

Dylan Chambers was my crush, and apparently he liked me, too. If it was in a romantic way or purely platonic I didn't know, but it didn't matter. As long as he wasn't completely repelled by me, I saw it as an achievement. But I'd never tell him. It was one of those secrets you kept to yourself and if your best friend was lucky they'd find out but no one other than that.

So, on Friday, Dylan was planning a party and had invited pretty much the whole school. Which was fine. I liked parties, especially ones with cute boys-

No.

Don't get sidetracked, Mitch. You have an assignment to do.

But Dylan-

"Mr. Grassi?"

My head shot up at Mrs. Watts' voice and I hid my phone back in my pocket.

"Yes?"