5

I tensed when I heard somebody open the door and tiptoe into my room. I squeezed my eyes shut, pretending to be asleep, forcing myself to breathe steadily although it was hard. Deep inside, I knew it was Alex. He told me he came into my room at night. But I still couldn't help wishing it was Scott, or even just Esther.

Please, let it be anyone other than Alex.

I could hear their breath - they were close to me. There was a weight on my body.

Please, don't touch me while I'm supposed to be asleep.

I felt hands and - they tucked me in? They hovered over me before I felt lips on my temple, leaving a kiss. I felt scruff. I could smell a faint scent of old spice deodorant. It had to be Scott.

"Goodnight, angel. I'm sorry," I heard him whisper. I was just about to open my eyes and say something before I heard him tiptoe away, closing the door to my room again.

A few hours later and I still couldn't fall back asleep.

The light that flooded the room woke me up in the early morning, blinding me and taking every chance I still had at falling back asleep.

I missed Kirstin. My family. Dylan.

Fuck, I even missed school. Ugly Mrs. Watts - how much I'd prefer being in her class right now over being on the brim of death in this hell house with two criminals and a nurse.

There was a knock on the door before it opened and Scott came inside. I immediately remembered what he'd done last night and smiled at the memory.

"Good morning," he said. There was nothing aggressive in his voice. "Sleep well?"

I sighed. "Not really. I barely slept at all."

Why did you apologize?

"Why?"

"I don't know," I lied. "Felt like... Someone was in the room with me..."

Maybe I'd get an explanation.

"Oh no, how come?"

You're such a bad liar.

"Scott..." I sighed again, trying to bring my point across that I knew he'd been in my room tonight. "Why did you check up on me?"

"What?" He asked, trying to act in surprise. "I didn't. It must've been a dream. Why would I check up on you?"

Why are you pretending not to care when you care so much?

I had so many questions, but once again, I was afraid to voice them. He would probably dodge, turn into this callous, aggressive man who could kill you in an instant.

"By the way," he said. "I told Alex to stay away. He's not coming back for you. You're safe if he ever made you uncomfortable, though I doubt he would ever do anything like that."

I just nodded at that. "Thank you." There was no point in discussing this with Scott.

"I admit he was being rude to you. I don't know what his problem is."

I laughed slightly. "What, am I too pretty to handle?"

"You certainly are," I heard Scott mutter, but I didn't think I was supposed to hear, so I decided not to comment on that.

He was just about to go away before I remembered something.

"Scott?"

He turned around. "Yeah?"

I looked down at myself. I didn't know how long I'd been here, how long I've been unconscious. All I knew was that I smelled terribly and was in a desperate need of a shower and fresh clothes.