20

"Alex, listen to me-"

This caught my attention. It was the first sound I'd heard in hours, and having it come from Scott wasn't exactly a surprise as we were the only ones in the house but him saying Alex's name wasn't what I'd expected. My body tensed. If Alex was here, I wanted to be ready to fight, run if I had to. But it didn't seem like it. I figured Scott was on the phone because all I heard was his voice.

"No, no you got that wrong."

A moment passed. Scott was probably listening to what Alex was saying.

"Who the fuck told you this bullshit?!" He snapped. Oh god. What was Alex up to? I had a bad feeling about it, something told me I should go to Scott and see if he was okay. I could move freely now, the door wasn't even locked, I was free to move around the whole house. Ever since Scott made the decision to let me go, he stopped trying to keep me here. It was freeing, but scary at the same time. Because it kept reminding me that in only a few hours I would have to say goodbye to him, probably forever.

"Alright," Scott then said, sounding resigned. "I'll be right there."

A moment.

"No way! No, that is completely out of question."

What?

"No, I'm not bringing him, no way."

A second. I could feel the tension radiating off of Scott through the walls separating us.

"I don't fucking care, you can't see him."

I heard Scott slam the phone down onto a surface, maybe a table, before he stomped away. A few moments later the door to my room opened and I ran through my hair, trying to seem as if I hadn't just witnessed their phone call.

"Mitchy..." Scott said, running his hand through his hair as well, sighing. "I know you heard it."

"Yeah..." I admitted. "What's wrong?"

Scott sat down next to me, a hand on my back, pulling me closer. I liked this gesture. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Can I be honest with you?"

I looked at him worriedly. "Of course. What happened?"

"Someone's been spying on us. I don't know who it is, I honestly assume it was Alex himself... They know I told you the truth... And they want to punish me."

The way he said the word punish didn't seem like it would be a small amount of money but rather a bullet in the head. Shivers ran down my spine, making me shake and feel cold, even though it was almost August.

"And Alex wants you to meet up with him?" I asked, getting a small nod in return. "I'm coming with you," I decided. How else was I going to make sure he'll be alright?

Scott immediately looked at me, shaking his head as if I was completely out of my mind. And maybe I was, facing my biggest fear, but if it was to make sure Scott was alright then it was worth it. He'd faced Alex so many times for me, even though he'd been armed and could've easily killed him, but he still did it to guarantee my safety, and that meant more than I could ever let him know.

"You can't. He'll just kill you, and I don't wanna lose you."

"You're letting me go," I argued. "We need to face this, we won't see each other ever again. And if I die-" I shivered at the thought, "then it's the same thing."

"Mitch, I'd kill myself if anything happened to you."

"But you won't see me again!"

"I don't want you to die!"

I panted for a moment, exhausted from just our short but heated exchange.

"You really do care about me, huh...?" I muttered. Scott looked at me, and when he realized I was avoiding his look he carefully tilted my head to face him.

"Mitch..." He began. "I love you, of course I don't want you to get hurt. And that part about letting you go... I know I can't keep you safe. Keeping you with me would be selfish. I love you, so I'm letting you go."

"But what am I gonna do without you? Who am I gonna sleep with, kiss-"

"I'm sure Dylan missed you... Kirstie would surely offer to have sleepovers."

"I don't want Dylan!" I snapped. "Kirstie is cool, but she's a girl! I'm gay, Scott!"

"I know, Mitchy, I know..." He pulled me into a hug, wrapping his arms around me and just letting me nuzzle my face in his shirt. It smelled just like him, and it was my favorite scent. "I have to go to Alex's. Promise you'll stay here?"

I shook my head. "I don't want you to die either, you know."

"I won't die," he said but it sounded more as if he was convincing himself.

"You know what Alex is capable of."

"Yes. And that's exactly why I don't want you to go." He kissed the top of my head.

"Two is better than one. And I want a real kiss." I puckered my lips, making Scott chuckle and earning a peck but at least it was a proper kiss.

"Are you really gonna try to convince me?"

"Mhmmh..." I hummed. "I'll do everything it takes."

"And I'll do everything to keep you safe, baby."

"Exactly," I said. "That's why I have to be with you so you can take care of me." Puppy eyes?

"Oh no, don't- ugh." He rolled his eyes playfully but smiled. "Alright. But I swear to god if anything happens you're running, yes?"

I nodded. "Of course."

_
A/N: Heya! We're nearing the end of this story :( There will be 22 chapters + epilogue so there will be 3 more chapters :) Thank y'all for reading, voting and commenting, it means a lot to me, especially since I'm happy with how the story turned out which is a rare thing so seeing y'all like it is amazing

Love y'all, stay fcute x