22

He fell into my arms and I immediately calmed down. The familiar scent of old spice and mint filled my senses and somehow it always had that calming effect on me. He wasn't crying - his eyes were wet, though, but he was hugging me tightly, almost as if he'd been scared to lose me.

"You didn't have to kill him," he whispered.

"I know."

"Why did you do it?" It didn't sound accusing, he was just asking. I shook my head.

"All I know is that I wanted to stop everything. Stop him from hurting any more people like me. Like you."

"He was crazy," Scott said, hugging me even closer. "He had a real estate company as a cover up for a revenge thing which was another cover up for the fact that he was a murderer."

I loosened my grip and blinked. Only now I noticed my wet cheeks.

"He was a murderer? As in, he actually killed innocent people?"

Scott nodded sadly.

"He did, he just confessed it right before you came in. But now he's gone, he can't hurt anyone anymore."

"So I did the right thing..."

Scott shook his head. "Killing is never the right thing. I learned it the hard way. I hate myself for what I did."

"But what should I have done?!" I snapped. "I couldn't have let you die! I fucking love you, Scott!"

I was still careful with those words, but they escaped my mouth before I could even think about it. And damn, it felt right to say it.

Scott surprised me with a kiss. I was so caught off-guard it took me a while to close my eyes and reciprocate but I eventually did, melting into it, taking in the taste and feel of his lips, trying to burn it into my mind so I would never forget it.

"Mitchy, come on." He said, standing up and taking my hand into his. As I stood up as well he kissed my knuckles, making me blush. "I'll take you home."

My eyes widened. Somehow I expected to stay with him now that Alex was gone, but he still wanted us to part ways?

"I'm not going back with you?"

He shook his head. "I'm bad for you, Mitchy. I love you a lot. Too much to let you waste your life with me."

"So... this is a goodbye? Forever?"

Scott bit his lip, not looking at me.

"I guess."

He brought me back to the car and we drove in silence for about half an hour. I directed him to my house. He shut off the engine and we stayed in silence, no one moved, no one dared to speak.

"Your family is waiting for you. They missed you, love."

I looked at Scott, a lump in my throat. If I said anything I would cry. He called me love.

"I love you," I said. I couldn't say more. I was desperately trying to stop the tears from coming but they came anyway as soon as Scott leaned over and engulfed me in a big tight hug.

"I love you too. I'll never forget you. I promise."

"Me neither," I said. "I'll never forget the color of your eyes, your smile, your fucking stupid tattoo."  I smiled through my tears. "I fell in love with you."

"Me too, Mitchy..." He pulled away, tilting my chin up and capturing my lips in one last mesmerizing kiss. "I wish we had a chance, but you don't deserve any of this crap."

"There's no way to change your mind, huh?"

He shook his head sadly. "No. At least not for now. I know it hurts, believe me it hurts like hell to let you go but it would hurt us both even more if you stayed."

"Maybe we can try-"

"No, baby." He kissed my forehead softly. "Maybe if we meet again."

We kissed one last time, tasting each other's tears mixed with our own ones before I opened the car door and reluctantly walked back into my old life.