Chapter 3

Tyler woke up a little earlier than usual the next day. He had a semi-sore throat and a headache, but other than that, he felt pretty good.

He missed how it felt to feel good.

Tyler wondered how long he could keep that up.

He dragged himself out of bed, immediately regretting leaving his warm fluffy covers. Getting up was the worst. Especially when it was cold.

not that it was necessarily cold. It was October, the air was crisp and cool, and fall was in full swing. Tyler liked it when the air was brisk and there was a cool breeze, yet you could still feel the sun warming your skin. That's also when he really liked biking in the morning.

But he had already established that he wasn't going back to the lake any time soon.

Tyler rushed into the bathroom quicker than any of his siblings and took a 5 minute shower. He shivered as the cold air blasted him in the face when he stepped out of the shower, contrasting the warm humidity of the inside.

Tyler figured that if there was anything that he loved, it was showers.

He wrapped a towel around himself and looked at himself in the mirror.

His face looked a little sunken in, perhaps from lack of sleep. Or from lack of everything.

The bags under his eyes were a little too big for tyler's liking. He hoped no one noticed. He hoped Josh didn't notice.

Tyler brushed his teeth and then took a look at his hair. It was getting a little longer at the top, so he styled it a bit upwards. He kind of liked how it looked. With one last semi-satisfactory look in the mirror, Tyler left the bathroom, passing a very confused looking Zack in the hallway to his room.

Once in his room, he chose a black shirt with black skinny jeans (he really liked black) and his trademark floral print sneakers.

When he was ready, Tyler sat on the edge of his bed for a while, thumbing through the pages of lyrics he had written the past night. He liked the lyrics, he couldn't think of any tunes, but he had decided to name it "ode to sleep," because of the situation in which he was writing the song. He also thought the name sounded cool, like it wasn't just a song, or a poem. it was an ode to....sleep...pretty much.

As his mom called his siblings for breakfast, Tyler actually considered going down there and getting something to eat. Actually...never mind.

He stayed up in his room, opening the journal to a fresh new page. New unused sheets of paper were another thing that Tyler liked.

He had thought of new song lyrics as he was taking his shower. This one would probably sound more upbeat, more happy. Or maybe it wouldn't. The song might actually end up being a contradiction because of how happy it sounded. He could dig that.

Grabbing a red pen, he started to write what he had been making up in the shower.

"Heard you say, 'not today'
tore the curtains down,
windows open now,
make a sound.

Heard your voice, 'there's no choice'
tore the curtains down,
windows open now,
make a noise."

Tyler looked over these lyrics with a smile. He liked this one. he wasn't sure exactly what it meant, but he would figure it out.

When he heard his siblings shuffling around in the kitchen, meaning that they were done eating breakfast, Tyler grabbed his backpack and stuffed his journal inside. He darted down the stairs and said bye to his mother, who was at the kitchen sink, dealing with a whole new pile of dishes.