Chapter 30

final chapter. thanks for sticking around.
(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

december thirty-first, new year's eve.

the year had gone by crazy slowly, like it would never end, but it finally was. the new year was coming.

this time around, Tyler's last day of the year consisted of his floral kimono, his ukulele, a soft breeze, and Josh. they were on his back porch, seeing that it wasn't actually freezing cold on this december afternoon. the universe had been generous after all, it seemed. Tyler thanked the universe earnestly.

he wouldn't rather be anywhere else.

"wise men say only fools rush in, but i can't help falling love with you," Tyler sang quietly, his gentle fingers grazing the ukulele strings.

Josh was listening, a heart-eyes expression evident on his face, as he listened to Tyler's voice blend in with their surroundings. it suited him. he could listen to it all day. it reminded him of pleasant flowers, soft grass, the sunset. everything subtle and lovely and pleasant and perfect.

"like a river flows, surely to the sea, darling so it goes, some things are meant to be," he sang, lingering on the last note. "take my hand, take my whole life too, for i can't help falling in love with you."

Josh smiled and actually did take his hand, leaning in to kiss his boyfriend. "so beautiful," he said, and Tyler gave him a small, pleased, smile.

"thanks Joshie." he put the instrument down and took a sip of lemonade, looking out at the trees in his backyard.

he was actually quite surprised at the weather, usually december produced cold temperatures and brisk winds that made it torture to leave your house. or even your bed. but today, it was pretty warm. the magnolia trees had lost their flower buds, and the blooms were dotting the ground, white petals scattering the green grass. Tyler found it peaceful, it put him in a good mood. he smiled as he adjusted his flower crown, looking down at the steps they were sitting on and then up at Josh.

Josh found it difficult not to smile as well, and took out his phone, pointing the camera at Tyler. Tyler, sticking his tongue out, Tyler giving him a goofy smile, and then Tyler just sitting there like the angel he was. new home screen, Josh thought.

"Tyler!" Maddie called from the inside of the house. she ran up to the sliding glass door, pulling open. "we're going to some new year picnic thing, you guys are home alone."

Tyler's face lit up. "i don't have to come?"

"well no." Maddie leaned on the wall between the glass. "unless Josh wants to come with you."

Tyler eyed Josh questioningly, and Josh shrugged dismissively.

"i guess we're stayin here," Tyler figured, and Josh gave a thumbs-up as he drank his own lemonade.

"alright, whatever." Maddie said, and her figure disappeared from the doorway as fast as it had appeared.

Tyler, happy that he didn't have to go anywhere, played a few random chords. well, not random. Josh recognized it as the song he wrote for him, the one he'd sang to him so perfectly just six days ago.

watching him in adoration, Josh suddenly gasped softly as he remembered what he'd told Tyler on christmas.

"oh hey, baby boy..." he started.

"hm?" Tyler looked up from his fingers on the instrument and at Josh.

"do you wanna...maybe do the stuff with my hair now? remember i said we should?"