chapter 15

It was 2 am. The rain was trickling onto the house and it was calming and slow. No one in the house was awake. But it was hard for Amy to fall asleep, for she had the worst nightmare in her life. She thought she forgot about this event, After all, she had the two best little girls that she could ever have. But Amy would never speak of what happened one day, the most depressing and the most quiet day in her world.

2 years ago: Amy's POV:

Today I'm 36 weeks pregnant. My belly was getting bigger each day, but I've had the worst cramping in my lower stomach. Could I be in early labor?

"Mark??" I called to him from the bedroom.

"Yes my princess?" Mark came in and kissed my cheek.

"I think it's time, call the doctor." I said while holding my stomach. My cramps have gotten worse and worse. But my water wasn't broken yet.

Mark left the room and called the doctor. Then he came back and picked me up bridal style and put me in the front seat of the car.

Ok the drive there, I was quiet. My cramps still hurt but they haven't gotten worse. Mark put his hand on my stomach.

"I don't feel any kicking dear." He said solemnly.

"Maybe it's just a bad stomach ache, but I still want to get it checked out." I was a little nervous, did this baby die? No, the baby couldn't be dead.

When we got to the hospital, Mark carried me bridal style and yelled for help.
"My wife!!! She's in labor! I need help!!" Soon, i nurse came in with a wheelchair and showed us to a little room with machines. She hooked me up with an IV and got a different doctor that would help with the baby.
He got out a little scanner and scanned my stomach for an ultrasound.

"Mrs....Mrs Fischbach.....Mr Fischbach?" The doctor stuttered.

"Yes?" I said worried.

"Your baby....I'm sorry for your loss." He quietly said.

"My baby?? It's dead??" Mark asked, he was tearing up.

"I'm sorry to say, Mr and Mrs Fischbach, your baby has no heartbeat. The umbilical cord is wrapped around its neck and it suffocated to death." The doctor put the scanner away and turned off the machine, then walked out.

At this point, mark and I were at a loss of words. The only thing we could do at this point was cry onto each other. Our child is dead, and we can't do anything about it anymore.

"Mr and Mrs Fischbach, to prevent any further infections in the uterus, we have to have a C-Section to remove the baby." The doctor came back in after 10 minutes with another doctor. "This is Dr Cohen, the chief of surgery and she will be delivering the child." I look over at the chief of surgery and he doesn't look happy, he's just standing there.

"Do I still get to have skin-to-skin contact with my baby though?" I asked while in tears.

"You get 10 hours with it, then we have to take it to do tests on it, and you won't see it again." The doctor said again.

•••

I was sitting there in the surgery room, wearing a hospital gown and was lying on a table. I could see all the tools around me and the doctors prepping to cut me open and take my dead child out.
Mark is next to me, holding my hand tightly as they put in anesthesia to numb the pain.

Then the doctors close the curtain between my upper body and my lower body, they have a little transparent plastic hole in the middle so I could see the baby. And soon, mark and I see our baby. It's not crying, it's not moving, it's lifeless.

The silence in the room is depressing, I could only hear the machines that are hooked up to me.
"It's a boy." The surgeon declared.

Mark stares down at me in tears, he had always wanted a son who would look up to him, but that's gone now. Our sons dead.

They clean him up and do a test and then swaddle him in a blanket.
They bring him over to me so I could get a glance. We look and then they take him away, what a handsome baby he is, we only get to spend time with him for 10 hours. That's not enough.

•••

I sit in the recovery room after they do tests on me to see if I have any infections. They said I'm clear and they soon leave mark and I.
I've never felt so empty inside, my big stomach is gone and I'm not holding my baby.
But then, a nurse comes in with the baby.

"We have all of the baby's information. He was born August 24th, 2020, his weight was 5 pounds and 7 ounces, his height was 20 inches, but he has no name and we don't have his eye color because his eyes are closed." The nurse carefully gave me the swaddled baby and left.

He looked just like his dad, dark dark brown hair, it was pretty long and his skin was pale. He was a skinny baby too. And he had the cutest nose.

"What will we name him?" Mark said with tears in his eyes.

"I don't know." I start crying and I kiss my baby's forehead.

"He needs a name, Amy, he needs a name." He looked closer at the baby.

"I like the name Noah, from Noah's Ark. The rainbow at the end of the story meant a promise, a promise that we will have a healthy baby one day." I told Mark. I looked at my son once more, and that's what mark and I did for the rest of the day, until we were told that he needed to be taken away and that we will never see him again.

Present: Amy's POV

I wake up and notice I soaked my pillow with tears. I take deep breaths, but mark notices that I had a nightmare.

"Amy, babe, what's wrong?" He asked while yawning.

"It's....it's Noah, I miss my baby boy so much!" I start sobbing into his shoulder. He squeezes me with his strong hugs.

"I bet Noah will be glad that we made the right decision to adopt little girls that was desperate for a home."

I try to lay back down and go to sleep, but I just cant.....