The Invite.

Once upon a time, in a small and provincial town in the hidden heart of France. Was a kingdom and that kingdom was ruled by the bachelor prince, Gaston. He was the undeniable heir after both of his parents died, and for years he has been looking for the one he would call his queen, but to no avail. His valet, Monsieur Lefou suggested that he have a ball, and invite every single woman from the village. Gaston figured it wasn't a terrible idea, and went through with it. He ordered that an invitation be written to every single woman in the town.

Gaston also asked to send them out as soon as possible. The ball will take place day after tomorrow. Lefou himself mustered up a couple of men and they went to door to door handing out invitations from the castle. When Lefou got to your house, one of the last houses. You happened to answer the door and greeted Monsieur Lefou with a smile.

"How may I be of service, Monsiuer?" You politely pondered. "Please, call me Lefou. I am here with a invitation from the Prince Gaston. He is specifically inviting women from the entire village to attend a ball the day after tomorrow. I hope to see you there, mademoiselle." Lefou tipped his hat at you and told you good day. You told him the same and thanked him. "Oh but before you go, Monsieur Gaston I'm not sure how much of a journey you have to go, but I know you've been travelling a long while. Please, take this bread and milk." You offered him, that was your dinner but Lefou needed it more than you.

"Oh I couldn't take that from you! I will be fine, really!" He tried insisting to you, but you persisted. "I will not take no for an answer. I insist." You placed the items in his hands and looked back at him before shutting the doors behind him. You were the kindest one he has met so far, and Lefou made sure to note that. You were so genuine, thoughtful, considerate, Lefou thought he never knew so much kinder other than the Prince or his mother.

You could smell the fresh ink within the envelope, which filled with the utmost joy. Every woman from the entire village was invited to this ball. That also counted you! You've never been to a ball before, you thought to yourself as you walked with a skip in your step to the drawing room, where your stepsisters and stepmother where they were currently residing at.

"Who's was that at the door?" Bianca, bionic ears raised an eyebrow slightly as your presented yourself in the room. "We have received a letter from Prince Gaston." You rubbed the envelope with your thumb. Your stepmother's eyes widened with realization and zest. Celeste and Bianca nearly pummeled you over the letter. "Girls! Control yourselves! Y/N, give me the letter." Your stepmother demeaned of you, putting the cat fight to an end at once.

As much as you didn't want to let go of the letter, you obeyed stepmother's orders. "Thank you, Y/N." Stepmother gritted through her teeth and pried it open with a butter knife. "Prince Gaston is hosting a ball the day after tomorrow and all women from within the household are invited!" Your stepmother summarized the letter. Celeste and Bianca squealed giddily. You joined in on their tyrant which quickly ended when you began.

"Why are you excited? Pfft, you're not going Y/N. Are you crazy?" Celeste crossed her arms over her chest. Where Bianca agreed. "The invitation said every woman in this home. That includes me does it not, stepmother?" You faced your stepmother with eager eyes. "You are right, Y/N. Girls, Y/N is obviously a woman just like us, and it is written in the fine print. You can go with us, Y/N if you can finish all of your chores by tomorrow and find something decent to wear." Stepmother smirked in spite of herself. You gasped loudly and thanked her and told her you would get on them right away.

You excused yourself and practically ran out of the drawing room. "What are you thinking, mother? Letting Y/N come to the ball with us that is a preposterous idea!" Bianca muttered clearly offended by her mother's actions. "You apparently misheard me, oh daughter of mine. I said if she finishes all of your chores. Which will be nearly impossible at seven o'clock hours." Stepmother let out a few cackles. "Oh." Celeste and Bianca both sighed, now understanding what their mother said.

"If." The both said out loud in unison before breaking out into a fit of giggles. 

Gaston stood in the midst of the beautiful rose garden, planted many years before Gaston was even born. It was his mother's; and every year it bloomed the most beautiful crimson roses. They helped Gaston remember his mother, in the way she wanted him to remember her by. The rose garden, the afternoons they spent together in that very garden before she died.

Gaston's deep train of thought was derailed when he began to hear a certain and distant voice call me back into reality. "My Prince? Prince Gaston?" It was Monsieur Lefou. "Oh Lefou I'm terribly sorry for my ignorance but I remained deep in thought. What is are on your mind?" Gaston inquired, forming a thin line with his lips. "Not a problem, I only wanted to inform you all the invitations have been sent." Lefou confirmed with a nod.

"Lovely. Is there anything else?" Gaston wriggled his eyebrows. "No, I believe that is it." Lefou bowed his head a little and was on his way but stopped himself. "Prince Gaston? I just want you to know I hope you find your queen at the ball." Lefou held his hat in his hand and chewed the inside of his lip. "I apperciate that, Monsieur Lefou." Gaston nodded his head, excusing him once more.

Lefou walked away with satisfaction in his step. 

You performed some of your tasks, before you slipped up the two flights of stairs to your room in the attic. You couldn't get the ball of your mind and you wanted to see if you had anything to wear. You dug around in a trunk of your late mother's dresses. You found a light pink dress, with lace and big pink bow that wrapped around the waist. It would have to do. You would make some altercations before the big night, but you knew you needed to get back to work so you didn't waste anymore time.

You became more of a servant rather than the stepdaughter to your stepmother not too long after your father's death. It was your job to wash all of the clothes, to make sure Celeste and Bianca looked their best. You ran the house all on your own. It was timorous work, but it was all you knew. You haven't had something to look forward to in a long time. You knew something was good was going to happen to you, and this appeared to be your chance.

Who knows what will happen? It remained highly unlikely that the prince would fall in love with you, a peasant girl. But, a dream is a wish your heart makes, even when your fast asleep. All that you have had, all these years are your dreams. And one of them might be finally coming into light.

The End!