Feverish

Gaston and You were enjoying dinner, as it was just the two of you. You were catching up, as you chatted about your day and what happened, etc. You signal went off when Gaston got home from the village as you noticed how pale he seemed, as his complexion was slightly greenish. You did not want to send Gaston flying off the walls because he will profusely insist to you he is just fine, etc. He also seemed quieter than usual, which said everything in itself. After you finished up, you and Gaston would normally retire in the library, ingest a drink or two, and then make your way to your bedroom.

After you exited the dining hall, Gaston announced he was going to take a bath and head straight to bed. That was when you had to ask. "Do you feel alright, my love?" You bit down on your lip ever so slightly and knitted your eyebrows together. Gaston knew he shouldn't lie to you, and to be quite frank he did not feel alright. He felt his health slowly decline all day. He probably shouldn't have gone out in the first place. Ah oh well, he will recover over the weekend, and he will have you there to look after him.

"No, unfortunately I do not, my darling." And that was all Gaston needed to tell you. You pressed your hand gently against his forehead, and just as you feared it felt very warm. "Oh my dear you have a fever. I'll send one of the servants to fetch a doctor so you can be evaluated properly." You nodded your head. You also insisted on helping him up the stairs and getting his bath ready for him, etc. "You don't have to go through all that trouble for me. I can do that all my-" And before Gaston could even finish his own sentence he was cut off by his cough.

"I do and I do not mind. Remember, in sickness and in health. I made my vows to you and now I must fulfill them." You said, adding that it was no trouble at all. "Would you like a cup of tea for your throat after your bath?" The thought of a warm cup of tea sounded like music to Gaston's ears. "That would be lovely." Gaston moaned quietly. "Whatever you want, and it is yours." You reassured him. Gaston nodded his head, and a small smile.

You ran him a bath and left him to get settled, and you told him to holler if he needs anything.

Then, you called up one of the servants to fetch a doctor who was available to examine Gaston. "Not a problem at all, my lady." The servant bowed her head a little and excused herself. You proceeded to get the bed ready for Gaston, so he could lay his head down while you waited for the doctor arrive.

A few moments later Gaston returned with glassy and puffy eyes, and his skin was very washed out. "Oh my darling you look absolutely pitiful." You said, upon standing. "Don't remind me." He grumbled, like a child. Gaston ached all over and felt very congested in the face and his chest. You tucked Gaston in the bed, and fluffed his pillow for him, which Gaston was very gracious for. "Oh heavens I forgot all about your tea!" You exclaimed suddenly and just as you went to ring the bell, a hand stopped you.

"Don't fuss over it now, my love. I am quite fine." Gaston insisted, with his eyes shut. You sat back down, listening to Gaston. You began to run your fingers through his cold, wet locks. Before anyone knew it, Gaston was fast asleep, with his mouth partially open. Gaston could not have been asleep for very long because one of the maids presented the doctor.

"Good to see you, Doctor. Its unfortunate under these circumstances." You said, curtsying a little, and shaking his hand. "I am afraid to agree. So what seems to be wrong with Monsieur Gaston?" The doctor inquired to you. "Well you see I noticed when he came there was something just off about him and I think he has gotten worse since then." You explained briefly. "Now I see." The doctor nodded his head, understanding the situation a little bit more clearly now. Without the doctor having to tell you, you instructively woke up your husband.

You didn't really want to though; He appeared so peaceful, as his chest rose up and down and so forth. "The doctor is here, Gaston." You shook his shoulder gently. Gaston stirred in his sleep and cracked his eyes open slowly. "Your wife was right to call me, Monsieur Gaston. You're in bad shape my dear fellow." The doctor confessed with a heavy sigh. Gaston coughed in response to the doctor. Which broke your heart, as the cough racked through his entire body. You got out of the doctor's way so he could do his work.

The doctor confirmed to you and Gaston that he had contracted some type of virus. The doctor added that his case was not severe but he would need to exercise lots of rest and take the time to recover. He also prescribed Gaston an antibiotic to take twice daily, to help fight off the virus. "I'll take good care of him, doctor." You reassured him, as you grabbed a hold of Gaston's hand and caressed it with your thumb. "I'm sure you will, mademoiselle." The doctor gathered his things and was out of the door. You ensured that one of the servants would walk him out.

"How are you feeling now?" Your eyes were dotted with concern as you peered down at him. "I feel the same coming to think about it." Gaston admitted gloomily. You swept sections of his hair out of his face. He was sweating due to his fever, one second he would complain of shivering and teeth chattering and the next ripping off the sheets. "I want you to sleep in one of the guests bed tonight, my darling. I won't be able to bear the thought of passing this onto you." Gaston stated, sincerely.

"I don't know all about that..." You shook your head.

"Y/N, please it will make me feel better." Gaston begged weakly. You couldn't say no to him, so you decided to respect his wishes. "Alright then, it's settled. I will sleep in the guest room this evening." You sighed, not happy about the arrangement but if it made Gaston happy then you would oblige without another word.

"Thank you. You know I love you so very dearly." Gaston said, blinking a few times. "I know. Now, I leave you to get some real rest. I'll check in on you in a little while, Gaston. I love you." You said, straightening up your dress.

"I love you more." Gaston responded cheekily.

"I love you the most ever possible." You giggled. "Oh you've got me!" Gaston exclaimed. "That's enough excitement for one evening. Good night and sleep tight." You looked back at him one last time, and noticed where he nuzzled his head deeper into his pillow and pulled his blanket up slightly, and his eyes shut tightly.

A few hours later...

"Y/N..."

"Y/N!"

You heard your name being called very faintly, but just loud enough to pull you from your peaceful slumber.

You had completely forgotten all about Gaston being sick cause you were slightly confused as to why you were sleeping in one of the guest rooms.

"Gaston!" That had to have been who was calling out for you. You hoped it wasn't for something terrible. You would have never been able to forgive yourself.

You rushed to your room and burst through the door. Gaston was just having a fever induced dream, a nightmare if you will. "Gaston, oh my darling. It's okay I am right here. Everything is alright." You assume and partly blame it on the war.

He woke with a jolt and fixed his eyes on you looking extremely confused.

"H-how did you get here, Y/N?" Gaston wondered, you placed your hand on his forehead. He was burning up, pretty badly too.

"I was just across the hall, dear. You called for me and here I am. Let's get that fever down, shall we?" You grabbed the water bowl and the towl that hung from the side and began to dab it on his forehead.

"Y/N?"

"Yes Gaston?"

"That water is very cold."

"That's the point, Gaston."

"Oh."

The End!