Part 27

Sarah threw back a half helpless, half amused expression to Lily and let herself to be dragged to the fireplace where both of them sat down. Lily and the other girls went up to their dorm but Lily threw a last longing glance to where Sarah stood while wishing that it would be her James smiled at and not at Sarah. From day to day she could see that James wasn't the big headed toe-rag she always called him and she regretted that she only sees James' real character now when it was obviously too late.
"So what is it that got you so excited and happy?", Sarah asked him.
"You remember telling me to go to Dumbledore and ask him whether I could visit my parents for a weekend?" Sarah nodded and indicated for him to go on. "Well, I asked Dumbledore and he said yes! I can go to visit my parents tomorrow!", he said happily. "That's great, James", Sarah said smiling a genuine smile at the sight of her father being so happy. "And I have to thank you for that", James added and hugged her. "I haven't done anything", she retorted but returned the hug, "you have to thank Dumbledore for giving his permission if you want to thank somebody." Sarah threw a glance to the Mauraders where Sirius and Remus still wore a shocked expression when they saw James kissing Sarah on the cheek. And Sirius was slightly annoyed that James didn't tell him the news first. Sarah nudged James and said to him: "I think you should tell them what has made you so happy. They seem quite shocked." Sarah giggled at that. James smiled softly when he heard her laughing as it made him happy to see her so carefree and not sad just like in the nights before. James stood up and offered her a hand. She took it and was about to follow the girls into the dorm when James didn't let go of her hand. "What is it?", she said confused. "Well, I thought that we both could tell them...", he said slightly embarrassed. Sarah was confused as she thought that James would like to spend some time with his friends alone but she nodded anyway and they went to the Mauraders' sitting place. James cleared his throat and began to tell them: "As you all know, my parents are very ill (here all boys nodded solemnly especially Sirius) and I didn't want to go to school. I am still worried about their health and Sarah had the brilliant idea of visiting them over the weekend. Dumbledore has agreed so I'll be visiting my parents tomorrow and I will come back on Sunday evening." Sirius looked dumbfounded by the news: "Why didn't you tell us about that? We could have helped you. I'll come as well." "Sirius, I didn't want to worry you and Dumbledore has only allowed me to go", James interjected. "But you tell her?", Sirius pointed to Sarah, "you don't know her for that long but you already trust her over me, your best friend!" Luckily, there were only the Mauraders and Sarah in the Common Room so nobody could see the ongoing fight. "And what do you mean Dumbledore only allowed you to go? They are my parents as well! And besides that, since when have you become a goody-goody? When did you ever care about Dumbledore's permission?" "Sirius", here Sarah interjected not wanting a true fight to break out, "James only told me that by chance, not because he doesn't trust you. And I can assure you that I am completely trustworthy." She narrowed her eyes at Sirius not liking his distrust. "Moreover, I think you should let James go along as his parents surely won't be amused when you two show up unannounced at their doorstep while ditching homework." "Look, how high and mighty you speak", Sirius sneered at her, "how would you understand what I am feeling? Or how James' parents' feel about me? They always said that I am like a son to them. But what can you possibly understand? After all, you don't have any parents." Sarah, James and Remus could only gape at him. Peter was oblivious to the tension and has begun to read a book. Sarah stood up and looked Sirius in the eye. For once, her expression wasn't guarded. Her eyes were filled with emotions, underlying sadness, anger, pain and disappointment could be seen. Sirius flinched when he saw her emotions, already regretting his words. "You are right", Sarah said in a deathly calm voice, "I don't have any parents left. But that doesn't mean that I don't know the feeling of anguish and pain when you don't know how your loved ones are." Sarah thought of Mrs and Mr Weasley. "I just gave you a suggestion, nothing more. It's your decision whether to follow it or not." And with that Sarah went to her dorm.
"You're an idiot, Sirius", James said angrily, "I have my reasons why you shouldn't come with me! You belong to the family but this visit is something I have to do alone!" With that James stormed up to his room. "I messed it up really badly this time, didn't I, Moony?", Sirius asked Remus miserably. Remus just sighed and nodded.