Part 35

It was dark and cold when Sarah went through the corridors. Fortunately, she hasn't met any patrolling teachers so far. Strolling along the road without any aim she was deep in thought about what just happened.
"Did I just let him down too harshly?", she wondered, "but I couldn't say that he's my father. And I was in shock. So I said the next best thing that came into my mind. I see him as family and well, our age gap is minimal to non-existent, so I said he was like my brother..." She reasoned with herself and then came to the conclusion that even if James tried to avoid her, she would hunt him down and let her explain her reasons so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings.
She was so deep in thought that she didn't even notice that she was nearing the Great Hall. She walked out into the garden and sat down on one of the benches. The moon was shining clearly and the stars could be also seen shining brightly on the sky. Especially the star Sirius could be seen easily. A feeling of homesickness overcame her suddenly.
"I wonder how Ron and Hermione are doing", she mused loudly looking towards the sky. "Ron like Ron Weasley?", a voice suddenly resonated from behind her. She turned around and saw Dumbledore going towards her. "Great", she thought bitterly, "he is propably here to watch me that I don't break down or meet with some death eaters." "Yes", she said turning back again. "May I sit here?", the professor asked her. She nodded mutely and continued to look at the sky. "I assume that Ron is Molly's future son? You mentioned him when you came here", Dumbledore prodded gently. Sarah nodded again. She wasn't in the mood to start a conversation. Dumbledore sighed and said: "You know, you haven't really talked about what happened in that night. You looked like you came straight out from war with all your injuries and...", here he stopped slightly, "it must have been a shock to see your parents in their teenage age again, no older than you are. It must have been hard for you these past weeks." "Well, at least I could properly meet them this time", Sarah muttered. Dumbledore's eyes widened and he said: "You mean..." Sarah interrupted him, no longer wishing to speak about that: "The stars are really beautiful." Dumbledore's blue eyes pierced into her at her radical change of topic but thankfully, he didn't prod further into the matter and answered carefully: "Yes, they are."
" I wonder whether the stars are set alight in heaven so that one day each one of us may find his own again...", Sarah recited with a wistful tone. "The little prince", the professor said. It didn't surprise her that he knew the muggle book.
For a long time neither of them said a word. They sat next to each other in a comfortable silence, both absorbed in their own thoughts.
"Well, tomorrow it is then?", Dumbledore was the first to break the silence. Sarah must have looked confused for a moment because he clarified his statement: "The bet with Professor Lukos." "Oh yeah, yes", she said sheepishly. "What do you plan to do?", he asked her curious at her method. "Wait and see", she said flippantly and smirked. "Well then, you better be off to bed. Tomorrow will be a long day", he advised her, "and, of course, don't wander in the corridors after curfew." He admonished her with a twinkle in her eyes. "Yes, professor, good night", she said and went up to go back to her dorm. "Good luck for tomorrow, Miss Porter", he said before going away.
Sarah looked after him and shook her head. She couldn't figure him out. She only sighed heavily before going back.