Act 3: Yoru

Act 3: Yoru

A few days passed by since Yoru met the King of Kouka. Since then, the child travelled with him and his soldiers to Hiryuu Castle.

Snow started falling from the sky and along the way, she learned that the queen passed away recently. In Yoru's mind, she thought that it was such a shame. She had been looking forward to seeing what kind of woman the king fancied, but from the stories Mundok told her, the queen seemed to have been an outstanding woman.

In any case, the reason why the King of Kouka stumbled upon her was because he had just come from Sei for diplomatic reasons. On their way back, they passed by her unconscious state.

During the travel back, she was forced to ride with that old man from before, General Mundok.

The old man kept hitting her upside the head whenever she called the king an old man like she did with the general. Currently, they were nearing the castle and would take only a few more minutes before they arrive.

"Hey," Yoru spoke out of the blue, curiosity flashing in her eyes. "Old man Mundok, does the old man have any kids?"

Mundok smacked the girl on the head without a hint of mercy.

"Brat, I told you several times to stop disrespecting His Majesty!"

"If I stopped, will you cease hitting me, too?"

Mundok refused to show how taken aback he was with how mature this child acted sometimes. Even Soo-Won was not as articulate as the young boy before him.

At this point in time, Mundok had yet to figure out that Yoru, who had been dressing up as a boy for several years for her mother, was a girl. If he knew, he wouldn't have smacked her as ruthlessly as he did with his grandson.

"Anyways, does his Majesty have any child? I'm curious to know."

"He has one daughter that he cares for deeply, Princess Yona."

Seeing that glint of mischief in her eyes, Mundok casted a suspicious look. "What are you thinking?"

"Hm? I'm curious if this daughter you speak of is as interesting as His Majesty." The General was about to reprimand Yoru once more by hitting her upside the head but stopped himself when Yoru continued.

"Could she be like His Majesty? Like a light that no one dares to snuff. I'm looking forward to meeting her." Mundok huffed, a small grin on his face.

The general glanced at Yoru, who was eyeing the castle with interest. "Well, you're going to see her soon. I believe Lord Soo-Won, her cousin and my grandson, Hak, are at the castle as well. You have to behave, got it, brat?"

Yoru shrugged her shoulders. "No promises."

He shook his head in defeat. After getting to know this child, Mundok knew that Yoru was just like any other kid. Just as mischievous and unruly, even if Yoru did act like an adult.

Yoru took in the scenery as they entered the castle grounds. She had never seen such a beautiful place before. Mother... are you watching over me? I wish you could see this.

Her eyes softened considerable, so much so that it caught Mundok's attention. He wondered what Yoru had been through when the King found the child. Despite Yoru's mischievous demeanor, anyone could see the eyebags under her eyes from lack of sleep.

There was one soldier who found him thrashing around in his sleep, calling for her mother, her thin hands reaching for a ghost that was not there.

The king got off the carriage and approached the horse of Mundok and Yoru. "Child, come, you must be tired from the journey."