Chapter 39

"... explain?"

Yoru barely hid her nervousness from the man before her. His piercing gaze boring a large hole on her face. "EVERYTHING." His narrowed dark eyes made her feel like she was a child all over again. "Wh-Where should I begin?"

"From the beginning, obviously." Joo-Doh rolled his eyes at her, making the poor woman sink in her seat.

If there was one thing Yoru truly dreaded facing, it was Joo-Doh. She could still remember when she first met him and Won's father personally... she barely held herself together.

oooOooo

She owlishly blinked as an intimidating man glowered down at her. On the outside, it might seem like his tactics to intimidate her has no effect on her; however, deep inside, her entire form quivered in fear.

This man mastered intimidation down to the core.

"Boy—"

"— um, I'm a girl—"

"— I congratulate you for making it and achieving the title of Strategist."

She sweated when his expression did not change. Mister Yu-Hon knew her name and sex so why did he keep calling her Boy of all things? "A-Ah, thank you but—"

"— however —"

From behind Yu-Hon, Joo-Doh sweatdropped as the general kept cutting the poor girl off. "— you and I will have another shogi match, boy." When the man grinned, Yoru blanched. He looked as if he was going to devour her.

oooOooo

"You mean to tell me you trio of idiots survived that fall?"

The orange-haired girl grimaced at the face her used-to-be trainer gave her. "What is with that face, Joo-Doh?"

whack

"And? What happened next?"

She had to caress her forehead to get rid of the multiple stings after Joo-Doh flicked her.

oooOooo

"What's with that half-assed form of yours?"

She barely hid the twitch of her eyebrows as Joo-Doh arrived and sat on the steps leading to the courtyard where she was practicing. "I apologize, dear sir. It is not like I received a formal sword training—" Before the little girl could finish whatever she was going to say, a yelp left her lips when a sword flew past her.

"Keep that sarcasm of yours hidden. Plus, respect your elders."

"I respect those who earns my respect. By the way—" He quirked an eyebrow. "What was your name again? I seemed to have forgotten—"

whack

"Earn your respect, is that it? Then, pick those swords up." Yoru did not waste any time and did what he said, shooting him a confused expression. "I'm teaching you how to wield dual swords."

His predatory grin sent shivers down her spine.

Yoru suddenly regretted trying to mess with him.